Grandma’s Chocolate Trifle
My grandma’s recipe for a family favorite dessert made with layers of chocolate cake, pudding, Cool Whip, and Heath Toffee Bits. We gobble this up every time my grandma sets it on the table!
Ingredients in Grandma’s Chocolate Trifle:
- a baked chocolate cake
- Cool Whip
- instant chocolate pudding
- Heath Milk Chocolate Toffee Bits
Tips & Notes for Grandma’s Chocolate Trifle
- Feel free to use any baked chocolate cake recipe you want! You could even use a store-bought chocolate cake or store-bought plain cupcakes. I like using my doctored up cake mix recipe.
- My grandma’s recipe calls for only one 3.4 ounce box of pudding mix. But I like for the trifle to be really moist, so I like to use two boxes. I also double the Cool Whip that her original recipe calls for.
- You can replace the toffee bits with Snickers or Butterfingers! There are probably other yummy substitutions, but those are two that I’ve tried and like a lot.
Related Recipe Video: Snickers Halloween Trifle
- 1 chocolate cake (roughly a 9x13 sized cake), baked and cooled
- 2 packages 3.4 oz. chocolate instant pudding mix
- 4 cups skim milk
- 16 oz. Cool Whip
- 1 cup Milk Chocolate Heath Toffee Bits
- Break up the chocolate cake into bite sized pieces in the pan. Set aside.
- Whisk together the pudding mix and skim milk until thickened.
- Place 1/3 of the cake pieces in the bottom of a trifle dish. Spread 1/3 of the pudding over top. Spread 1/3 of the Cool Whip on top of the pudding. Repeat for 3 layers.
- Sprinkle the Heath Bits on top of the final layer of Cool Whip.
- Chill for at a least an hour before serving.
More of Grandma’s Family Famous Recipes