The Best Doctored Up Cake Mix Cake
The Best Doctored Up Cake Mix Cake is the BEST CAKE OF ALL TIME EVER. Moist, fluffy, and topped with a supremely fudgy chocolate frosting.
Check out all of my cake recipes here.
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make The Best Doctored Up Cake Mix Cake
- cake mix
- sour cream
- pudding mix
- vegetable oil
- mini chocolate chips
- powdered sugar
- cocoa powder
Recipe Tips & Notes
- Bringing the sour cream, eggs, and milk to room temperature before adding to the batter makes the cake even more moist and delicious.
- You technically can use regular chocolate chips in the cake (or none at all), but mini chips are my favorite. They add the perfect pop of chocolatey texture to each bite.
- Use the directions on the box to adjust the baking times for different sized cakes. Simply add about 10 minutes to whatever amount of baking time the box directs. I’m providing directions for a 9×13 cake below.
- 1 devil’s food cake mix
- 3 oz pkg instant chocolate pudding mix (not sugar free)
- 1 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt (fat free or regular for both works fine)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet mini chocolate chips (optional)
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Beat together all of ingredients until smooth batter forms, reserving the chocolate chips if using.
- Mix in the chocolate chips with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9x13 baking dish. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk together all of the icing ingredients until smooth. Spread on top of the cooled cake.
Love Chocolate Cake?
Check out some of my favorite recipes!
EXPERIENCE & MEDIA
Something Swanky and/or Ashton have been featured by LDS Living, Better Homes and Gardens, Cosmopolitan Magazine, Country Living Magazine, and multiple times on Spoonful, BuzzFeed, and The Huffington Post. Something Swanky recipes have also been featured regularly on brand Facebook pages such as: Pillsbury, Jell-O, Reese’s, Hershey’s, and more.
Ashton is passionate about the blogging community and helping new bloggers turn their blogs into careers. She co-founded an online blog conference for new bloggers called Online BlogCon. She also spoke at the Build Your Own Blog Conference in SLC in 2013 on DIY blog design.