Cookies & Cream Pumpkin Cupcakes Recipe
Something I've always loved about pumpkin is how incredibly versatile it is. I so impressed at how it pairs with so many different flavors, both sweet and savory. Over the past few years, some of my favorite flavors to pair with pumpkin have been: caramel (these Pumpkin Heath Caramel Bars), Nutella (this Pumpkin Nutella Poke Cake), cream cheese (these Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls and this Pumpkin Roll), cinnamon (these Cinnamon Roll Pancakes), S'mores (Pumpkin S'mores Cupcakes), and most recently– cornmeal (Pancakes, sooooooooo good!).
But perhaps more than any other flavor I've paired with pumpkin, I've always seemed to play favorites with Oreos. Pumpkin Pie with Oreo Crust, Oreo Nutella Pumpkin Fudge, Pumpkin Oreo Muddy Buddy Mix, and Pumpkin Oreo Cheesecake Bars.
It's just such an epic pairing that I can't seem to leave it alone! So today I'm revisiting those crazy-popular Oreo-stuffed cupcakes that went viral all over Pinterest a year or two ago. Anybody remember that? We all freaked because it was such a genius concept– stick an Oreo in the bottom of your cupcake cup, fill it with batter, bake, and voila! Now there's an Oreo inside your cupcake. Seriously life-altering stuff right there.
So let's do those one better and make it pumpkin cupcakes with Oreo Cream Cheese Buttercream on top.
I'm definitely okay with that.
For the Cupcakes:
- 18 Oreo cookies
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 heaping teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
For the Oreo Cream Cheese Buttercream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 15 Oreo cookies, crushed into fine crumbs
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare a muffin tin (or two, there will be enough batter for 1 1/2 dozen) with cupcake liners and a light coating of nonstick cooking spray.
- Place an Oreo in the bottom of each cupcake liner.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cake mix, pumpkin puree, milk, and pumpkin pie spice until smooth batter forms. Scoop 1/4 cup of batter over each Oreo in the cupcake liners.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool completely.
For the buttercream:
- Use a stand mixer to beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing until smooth in between each addition. Check consistency after 4 cups; if the frosting feels too thick for your taste, don't add the 5th cup.
- Mix in the vanilla extract and Oreo crumbs until completely mixed in.
- Pipe or spread frosting on top of cooled cupcakes.
- Serve immediately or stored covered at room temp for up to 2 days (or chilled for up to 4 days).
Have you made a Something Swanky recipe? Post it on Instagram and tag me @somethingswanky or use the hashtag #somethingswankyrecipes. I’d love to re-post!
Be sure to also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, YouTube, and in the Something Swanky Dessert Recipes Facebook group!