Caramel Swirled Pumpkin Snack Cake
This is an exceptionally delicious version of pumpkin cake, swirled with caramel and toffee bits.
Let me present you with the dessert that I’m making for Thanksgiving dinner this year! And for pretty much any other Fall/Winter/acceptable-pumpkin-dessert-time-of-year dinner. Or breakfast. Or lunch. Or any gathering of any sort at any time of day. Hence the name snack cake. It’s really so good you won’t care when you devour it!
Back to Thanksgiving talk though (is it too soon? I know we haven’t even made it through Halloween yet, but really, I just get too excited about Thanksgiving!!). I’m also planning on making my favorite Applesauce Cake with Salted Caramel Glaze (FOR REAL though). And I know that someone is always bound to make my grandma’s Sweet Potato Casserole, Aunt Carol’s Rolls, and of course– pumpkin pie.
Seriously. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I can’t wait until we get through the Halloween stuff and get on with the real food holidays. ???????? Amiright?!
This is actually an extremely old recipe from the archives, and I originally titled it as a bar. But after extensive taste testing (*cough* totally necessary *cough*), it was very clear to me that this is most definitely a cake.
It is moist. Like, insanely, incredibly, amazingly moist. Even if you can’t like the word, we can all agree that we want our cakes to be moist, right? First of all, it’s pumpkin. There’s your number one moist maker. But in addition to that, there’s also this incredible ribbon of salted caramel sauce throughout the cake with pockets of melted toffee bits creating an additional layers of moistness.
I KNOW. Moist, moist, moist, moist, moist. Some of you are freaking out. I know. But when it comes to cake, you just can’t let the word gross you out. Who wants dry cake?!
All those people who say they don’t really like cake– guess what. It’s because they eat dry cake. Take one bite of this moist, rich, caramel-y cake, and all you cake naysayers out there will change your mind. I guarantee it.
Are you guys ready for the best pumpkin cake you’ve ever had in your entire life?
That’s right. I said it.
Are you ready?? Then bake on, my friends. Bake on.
- 4 eggs
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup toffee bits (Heath Bit O' Brickle)
- 1 cup salted caramel sundae sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Mix the eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin with a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Pour flour, powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda into another bowl and mix.
- Pour flour mixture into pumpkin mixture and mix until incorporated and smooth. Mix in the Heath bits.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and level out the batter. Pour the caramel over top and use a knife to swirl the caramel.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Top with ice cream and caramel sundae sauce.