New York Times Pumpkin Pie with an Oreo Crust
I hope you’ll forgive me for my brevity, but tonight’s post is going to be short…
In a nutshell, I forgot to write one…
But, let’s be honest… you’re really just here for the food anyway.
So you won’t mind if I just give you this recipe and run, right?
If you’re a fan of the pumpkin, you are going to love this pie. I took the traditional Pumpkin Pie Recipe from the New York Times Cookbook (circa 1990, retro baby!), and poured it into an Oreo crust. Pumpkin and Oreo are one of my top favorite flavor combos, and this pie perfectly combines the classic taste with something a little extra!
- 24 Oreos
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups milk or cream (I used Pumpkin Spice Creamer! Yum!)
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Place the Oreos in a gallon sized ziptop bag. Press all the air out of the bag and seal it well. Use a rolling pin to crush the cookies until all large chunks are gone. Open the bag and pour in the melted butter. Seal the bag and "smush" the butter and the Oreos together until well incorporated.
- Press the Oreo crumbs into a 9-inch pie dish. It's ok if the crust doesn't come all the way up the sides.
- Whisk together all of the pumpkin pie filling ingredients until smooth, and pour into the prepared pie crust.
- Bake at 450º for 10 minutes, and then reduce the heat to 400º and bake for another 30 minutes. Turn off the oven and crack the oven door, and let the pie cool in the oven. Chill until serving.
It's ideal to have the pumpkin pie filling cover the pie crust completely so that no pie crust is hanging out above the pie. The top of my crust burnt ever-so-slightly (really, it wasn't actually that bad) because of the sugar in the Oreos. But all of the crust that was covered by the pumpkin pie was perfectly fine.
PS- for double the fun, check out this video I made that shows you how to make a super easy Oreo Pie Crust in a Ziptop bag with no mess! …or you could just watch it to make fun of my horrendous video-making skills. Whichever ;)
Also… try to ignore the text tones from my phone. I forgot to silence it!