Black Forest Ice Cream Cake Roll Recipe
This Black Forest Ice Cream Cake is a fun “twist” on a classic cake. Chocolate cake is layered with vanilla ice cream, cherry pie filling, and topped with chocolate ganache.
JOIN MY FACEBOOK GROUP FOR SNEAK PEEKS AT UPCOMING RECIPES!
Don't let cake rolls intimidate you. This Black Forest Ice Cream Cake is easier than it looks!
A FEW THINGS TO NOTE ABOUT THIS RECIPE:
- In my experience, a “messed up” cake roll is never really messed up beyond repair. If your cake cracks while unrolling, just keep going! Spread the filling over it, and roll it back up as best as you can. Get it wrapped tightly in plastic and chill (or freeze, as the case may be ????). You can always cover up cracks with frosting, whipped cream, or ganache on top!
- In retrospect, I think I would have opted for a chocolate chip ice cream instead of just plain vanilla. FYI.
- I wrapped my cake roll in plastic wrap and then in a few layers of foil as well. This cake roll was near-to-bursting at the seams when I rolled it back up! With it wrapped in foil, I was better able to round out the shape of it a bit before putting it in the freezer.
FOR THE CAKE
- 15.25 ounce chocolate cake mix
- ½ cup water
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
FOR THE FILLING
- ½ quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- chocolate ganache (half of this recipe is plenty)
- flour for dusting
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
MAKE THE CAKE
- Whisk together the cake mix, water, eggs, and melted butter.
- Line a 10x15 jelly roll pan with foil or parchment paper and lightly grease with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread the batter in the lined pan and bake for 15 minutes.
ROLL THE CAKE
- Immediately after removing from the oven, invert the cake onto a flour-sack or tea towel that has been dusted with flour. Peel the foil or parchment from the back of the cake.
- Start at the short end and gently roll up the towel and the cake together. Place on the counter to cool at room temperature, seam side down. If necessary, place something alongside the cake to prevent it from unrolling.
FILL THE CAKE
- Gently unroll the cake (leave it on the towel).
- Spread the cherry pie filling over the cake. Spread the ice cream over the pie filling. Gently re-roll the cake.
- Carefully transfer the cake roll onto a long piece of plastic wrap. Wrap the roll in plastic wrap as tightly as possible, using multiple pieces of plastic wrap if needed.
- Place the cake roll in the freezer for at least an hour.
- Once frozen, unwrap and spread the ganache on top. Add chocolate curls or chocolate chips if desired. Keep frozen until ready to serve.
You may want to cut off the ends for a cleaner presentation when serving.
More Cherry Dessert Recipes!