Oprah’s Favorite Brownies
These rich and fudgy brownies are utter perfection. No wonder they’re Oprah’s favorite!
I really wasn’t looking for a new brownie recipe when I came across this one on Pinterest, since I’ve already got several great ones here on the Something Swanky. But who can resist trying a recipe for Oprah’s favorite brownies?! Certainly not me. Not surprisingly, Oprah’s flawless taste strikes again! These brownies are 100% undeniably THE BEST brownies ever. Promise me you’ll try them!
PSSSSST! FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM TO GET NEW DESSERTS DAILY!
Find out why these are Oprah’s favorite brownies!
A FEW THINGS TO NOTE ABOUT THIS RECIPE
- The original recipe I was working off of calls for 1 tsp instant espresso powder. I almost always skip this in any recipe that calls for it (including this one), and they turn out just fine. But if you have some on hand and want to stick to the original recipe, be sure to add that in.
- Wondering how to keep your brownies rich, chewy, fudgy, and not at all cake-like? The trick is keeping all the “fluff” (aka air) out of the batter. For starters, don’t use any leaveners like baking soda or baking powder. And don’t use an electric mixer or even whisk too vigorously by hand– both of these will create air bubbles within the batter that will poof up during baking creating a cake-like result.
- All ovens are different and so baking times are going to vary greatly across the board. This recipe calls for 30 minutes in the oven. But just for the record: I pulled mine out at 28 minutes, and I think even one more minute in there would have been just a little too long and made them less fudgy in the middle. I suggest checking for doneness starting at 25 minutes the first time you bake these.
- The only change I might make to these brownies would be to add chocolate chips. They already have melted chocolate in the batter, but I’m a texture freak and love chunks of chocolate in my brownies. But even without the chunks, these were seriously the best brownies to ever come out of my kitchen!
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 11 ounces dark chocolate chips or chopped bars
- 1 cup butter
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare a 9x13 baking dish by lining it with foil or parchment paper and spraying lightly with a nonstick cooking spray.
In a large bowl: mix together the flour, salt, and cocoa powder. Set aside.
Over medium-low heat, melt the chocolate and the butter (stirring constantly).
Remove from heat and mix in the granulated sugar and the brown sugar. Whisk in three of the eggs until combined, and then the remaining two eggs with the vanilla. Be careful to NOT OVERMIX, otherwise you'll end up with cake-y brownies.
Pour the chocolate mixture into the flour mixture. Gently fold together with a rubber spatula until a batter forms (don't whisk or use an electric mixer).
Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Let the brownies cool before cutting.
Calories 489 | Fat 27g | Saturated Fat 16g | Carbohydrates 58g | Fiber 3g | Sugar 45g | Protein 3g
More brownie recipes I think you’ll love!