Monster Cookie Brookies
These Monster Cookie Brookies combine two of our favorite desserts: Monster Cookies and Brownies. This recipe is simple and delicious, and we’ll be making it many, many more times in our home!
If you’ve been reading my blog since last year (thank you!), you know that I LOVE a good Monster Cookie. And because I love it so much, I’ve really been wanting to re-photograph my classic Monster Cookie recipe for a while.
I finally got around to it this week, and they’ve really been stuck in my brain ever since! I only just posted Monster Cookie Muffins a couple of days ago, but I’m hoping it’s not to soon for you to unveil another monster cookie recipe: these Monster Cookie Brookies.
Brookies: a combination of a cookie and a brownie. They’re pretty amazing. And super simple! Really, you could make any variation of a brookie that you could dream up.
Simply start with the Fudgey Chocolate Chunk Brownie base, and top it with the cookie dough of your choice (White Chocolate Pretzel Snickerdoodle? Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies? Maybe these Fluffer Nutter Oatmeal Cookies?). Bake it up, cut into bars, and voila! A fancy-shmancy (but not really) and totally decadent dessert bar!
Here’s the most impressive part about this recipe for me: Chris said these brookies have been his favorite dessert “in a while.” Keep in mind– I make 7-10 desserts every week. “In a while” covers quite a bit of dessert in this house!
Chris’s stamp of approval is a pretty big deal for me. These days, it seems like he can’t tell the difference between one sugary item and the next. For anything to stand out to him, much less to actually be worth mentioning to me… well, you know it’s good.
And I have to agree with him, these are a new favorite of mine too! They are so, so good. Totally an ultimate comfort food– it’s a recipe I can’t wait to go back to again and again.
For the Brownie Layer:
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups chocolate chunks
For the Monster Cookie Layer:
- 1/2 of the dough from this Monster Cookie Recipe
For the Brownie Layer:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13 baking dish with TIN FOIL and spray with non cooking spray. Allow at least an extra inch of foil along the sides to fold over the edges towards the end of baking (the edges brown much more quickly than the center will bake).
- Beat together the butter, sugar, and vanilla in a stand mixer bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Stir together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Mix in the baking soda.
- Mix in the chocolate chunks with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Once the batter forms, scrape it into the prepared dish and spread evenly (it will be thin, and don't stress if it doesn't spread all the way to the edges-- the monster cookie dough will add extra thickness to the bars).
- Spread the Monster Cookie dough over the brownie batter layer.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out pretty clean, the edges are golden brown, and the middle seems pretty set (I still had a LITTLE chocolate batter on my toothpick, and the middle still moved just a bit).
- Also note: at about the 25 minute mark, I folded over the edges of the tin foil around the crust of the bars to prevent burning.
- Let cool, and cut into squares for serving.
- Serves 12
I've adjusted the monster cookie recipe to make as small of a batch as possible (the original recipe is HUUUUUGE), but you still only need about half of the dough for this Brookie recipe. I placed the remaining dough in a ziplock bag in my freezer, where it'll be waiting for me the next time I have a craving for cookies!
Brookies from Friends:
Don’t miss a bite! Connect with Something Swanky: