Milk & Cookies Ice Cream Cake Recipe
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #UndeniablyDairy #CollectiveBias
This Milk & Cookies Ice Cream Cake is made with a layer of my favorite chocolate cake on the bottom, chocolate chip cookie ice cream, edible chocolate chip cookie dough, cookies & cream ice cream, vanilla buttercream, and a drizzle of chocolate syrup to top it off! Milk, and foods made from milk, can connect you and your family to what real food is all about.
It's birthday season at our house, which means… it's time to start planning birthday cakes!! My long time readers will recall that I have had a very strict no-homemade-birthday-cakes rule instituted in my house for many years. Mostly because I was never very good at birthday cakes, and I just got tired of the mess and the stress! But in the past year or so, I've changed my tune.
Partly because (due to lots of practice) I've simply become a little more adept at cake making. But I think the real reason is largely that I've learned a few methods for cake-making that are super simple, achievable, and a lot of fun! One of my favorite cakes to make is an ice cream cake. Whether you love it for its delicious taste or its simple, nutrient-rich ingredients, it’s no wonder so many people are devoted to dairy. Ice cream cakes are so easy to build up in a springform pan (no need to frost!), and there are so many fun variations to make.
PSSSST! VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM ON MY FACEBOOK PAGE!
Your summer memories would be a little more delicious with this Milk & Cookies Ice Cream Cake in them!
HERE'S HOW YOU MAKE IT:
- Bake the chocolate cake and let it cool completely. This recipe is my favorite. It calls for a half cup of chocolate milk in the batter. How could it not be the best chocolate cake on the planet?!
- Make the edible cookie dough. Don't worry, it's easy!
- Soften a carton of vanilla ice cream, and split it between two mixing bowls.
- Crumble chocolate chip cookies into one bowl and mix. Crumble chocolate sandwich cookies into the other and mix.
- Layer the ice cream and the edible cookie dough on top of the cake, and freeze solid!
I topped my cake with more cookie crumbles, vanilla buttercream, and homemade chocolate syrup. Hypothetically, you could get away without adding any toppings to this cake.
But why would you?! ????
Did you know that the milk you drink is most likely from a farm near your neighborhood, contributing to the farm-to-table movement? Visit DairyGood.org for more dairy inspo!
FOR THE CHOCOLATE CAKE
- 18.25 ounce devil’s food cake mix
- 3 oz pkg instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup chocolate milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet mini chocolate chips (optional)
FOR THE EDIBLE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup of miniature chocolate chips
FOR THE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE ICE CREAM LAYER
- ½ quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- 10 chocolate chip cookies, crumbled
FOR THE COOKIES & CREAM ICE CREAM LAYER
- ½ quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- 10 chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed
FOR THE VANILLA BUTTERCREAM
- 10 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- chocolate syrup
- more crumbled cookies
- chocolate chips
BAKE & COOL THE CAKE.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Beat together all of ingredients until smooth batter forms, reserving the chocolate chips if using.
- Mix in the chocolate chips with a rubber spatula.
- Divide batter into two 9-inch round baking pans (one of them needs to be a springform pan). Bake for 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool completely. Store one of the cakes (NOT the one in the springform pan) to be used later. You can wrap it in plastic and keep it frozen for several weeks! Simply thaw when ready to use.
MAKE THE COOKIE DOUGH.
- Use a stand mixer to whisk together the butter and brown sugar until creamy.
- Mix in the powdered sugar, flour, salt, and vanilla until smooth.
- Fold in the chocolate chips. Set aside.
MIX UP THE ICE CREAM.
- Divide the ice cream between two mixing bowls.
- Mix the chocolate chip cookie pieces into one bowl of ice cream and the chocolate sandwich cookie crumbs into the other.
ASSEMBLE THE LAYERS.
- Spread the chocolate chip cookie ice cream layer over the cake in the springform pan.
- Spread the cookie dough over the ice cream layer (it's okay if the layers mix a little bit).
- Spread the cookies & cream ice cream over the cookie dough.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for several hours.
WHEN READY TO SERVE...
- Make the small-batch vanilla buttercream: use stand mixer to whisk together the butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Add milk as needed to reach desired consistency. Scrape down the sides frequently.
- Pipe or spread the vanilla buttercream on top of the frozen cake.
- Drizzle with chocolate syrup and garnish with additional toppings if desired.
calories 781 | Total Fat 49 g | Saturated Fat 22 g | Total Carbohydrate 84 g | Dietary Fiber 1 g | Sugars 67 g | Protein 6 g
Ready for More Ice Cream?!
CHECK OUT THESE COOL & CREAMY ICE CREAM RECIPES: