Cinnamon Roll Sheet Cake
Ohhhhhhhhhh you guys.
I hope everyone is ready to hop on board the it’s-time-for-the-holidays-so-we’re-not-dieting train, because have I got a recipe for you today!!
Meaning: put your fat pants on, like now, because you are going to eat this entire sheet cake in one sitting. And don’t say I didn’t warn you. And don’t regret it either. This cake is too perfect and delicious to regret.
This little gem comes from Christy Denney’s new cookbook, The Girl Who Ate Everything.
I’ve spent a little bit of time with Christy in person, and I just can’t write this post without gushing over her just a bit. She is truly one of the sweetest, most beautiful, most down-to-earth, and incredibly talented bloggers I have ever met. I adore her.
Suffice it to say, I found the recipes in her cookbook to be an accurate reflection of the author: authentic, quality, and worth hanging on to! I love how the recipes range from the practical weeknight meals to to creative and downright fancy. Some of the ones that caught my eye and I can’t wait to try are Bubble Bread (some sort of cheesy, toasty, french bread!), Creme Brulee French Toast, and Kimi’s Sweet Potatoes (you should see the crumble on this thing!).
Of course, the recipe that I absolutely couldn’t wait another day to try was this Cinnamon Roll Sheet Cake.
All I can say is that this is heaven on a plate: indescribably soft and buttery, with swirls of baked cinnamon sugar, and smothered in cream cheese frosting…. just oommmmggggg.
To put this in perspective: in my 5 or so years of dessert blogging, I’ve become pretty adept in the art of get-this-dessert-out-of-my-house-NOW. And the desserts that I decide to nibble on myself turn into hours of guilt and remorse at the gym. But not this one. I’ve happily eaten about half of it (uh… yep), and I can’t say that I regret a bite yet.
Or that I’m finished.
So. Just trust me and make this cake. You’ll instantly feel better about life, because how can a thing in the world be bad when you’re eating a cinnamon roll sheet cake?
Cinnamon Roll Sheet Cake
This soft, buttery cake with great, big swirls of cinnamon is like comfort on a plate. You won't regret a single bite.
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup water
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
Cinnamon Swirl Filling
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp flour
Cream Cheese Frosting
4 oz cream cheese, softened
4 tbsp butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
Preheat the oven to 375ºF and grease a 15x10x1 baking pan.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the butter and water to a boil. While the mixture is boiling, add the flour and sugar to a large bowl and mix. Add the eggs, sour cream, vanilla, baking soda, and salt, and mix until combined.
- Pour in the boiling butter/water mixture down the side of the bowl, a little at a time, stirring constantly (you don't want scrambled eggs in your cake!). The batter will be very thin. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and flour.
- Drop tablespoons of the filling onto the cake batter. Use a knife to swirl the cinnamon, but don't over mix.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool 5-10 minutes before frosting.
- In a small food processor or using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla; beat until creamy and smooth. Spread the frosting over the cake and serve.
- Cover and store at room temperature.
- I liked eating this best warm-- about 15 seconds in the microwave is perfect!
The Girl Who Ate Everything, by Christy Denney
Have you made a Something Swanky recipe? Post it on Instagram and tag me @somethingswanky or use the hashtag #somethingswankyrecipes. I’d love to re-post!