Quick & Easy Cinnamon Rolls From Scratch
Supremely easy cinnamon rolls with only one short rise! Whether you’re short on time or a novice baker, this recipe is perfect for you.
This is a recipe for classic, gooey, soft and cinnamon-y covered in frosting homemade CINNAMON ROLLS… when you need them in a hurry.
If you have the time, I think the VERY best recipe for cinnamon rolls is right here. But if you don’t have the time or patience for that, these are a close second, and I know you will love them!
I know this makes me sound like a 10-year old, but my favorite part of these cinnamon rolls is the frosting!
For a long time, I only ever made cream cheese frosting to go on top of homemade cinnamon rolls. Don’t get me wrong– cream cheese frosting is G-O-O-D. But once I had tried this frosting on my cinnamon rolls, there was just no going back.
It’s perfectly ooey and gooey and tastes a lot like the frosting you get inside a can of refrigerated cinnamon rolls. Which I think is completely nostalgic, because it reminds me of eating cinnamon rolls when I was a kid.
The dough is made easily by using my much used-and-loved Quick Dough recipe. Which– by the way– is fabulous. I use this recipe at least once a week for pizza crust, dinner rolls, pigs-in-a-blanket, and… cinnamon rolls! It’s really an awesome recipe to keep in your back pocket for those crazy weeknight dinners.
But back to cinnamon rolls…
You can have these babies on the table in less than an hour. I’d say 40 minutes, give or take.
Here’s the secret to making the magic happen so fast: you’ll need an electric heating pad about the same size as a 9×13 baking dish.
Have you ever used a heating pad to speed up the rising process? I do it all the time, and it is the best. Simply set your cinnamon rolls (pre-baked, of course) on top of the heating pad (I set mine to high) and cover them with a towel. After about 15 minutes, they’re plumped up and ready to go into the oven.
If you don’t have a heating pad, have no fear! My quick dough is just that– quick! So even without a heating pad, these rolls will rise in relatively little time (about 30 minutes).
Quick and Easy Cinnamon Rolls
Supremely easy cinnamon rolls with only one short rise! Whether you're short on time or a novice baker, this recipe is perfect for you.
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (think warm bath water)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 + 1/2 cups flour
For the Filling:
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, divided
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
For the Frosting:
- 6 tbsp melted butter
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- Pour the warm water into the bowl of a stand mixer. Dissolve the yeast in the water with the 1 tbsp of sugar.
- Once the yeast is foamy, add 2 cups of flour, the oil, and the salt. Knead until dough forms, adding the additional 1/2 cup flour as needed to help the dough form.
- Cover dough and set aside.
- Mix together the 1 cup brown sugar with the cinnamon. Set aside.
- Roll the dough into a large, thick rectangle (about the size of a 9x13 baking dish). Brush 1/4 cup melted butter over the rectangle. Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture on top.
- Roll the dough, starting at the long side. Slice into 8 pieces. Place them cut side down into a well greased 9x13 baking dish or sheet.
- Cover and let rise on a warm heating pad until doubled in size. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Make the icing: vigorously whisk together the melted butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk until a smooth icing forms. Drizzle over cinnamon rolls before serving warm.
Have you made a Something Swanky recipe? Post it on Instagram and tag me @somethingswanky or use the hashtag #somethingswankyrecipes. I’d love to re-post!