Peanut Butter Oreo Banana Bread
Super moist banana bread with triple the peanut butter and an Oreo ganache on top.
I don’t really feel like I need to pitch you the merits of peanut butter, chocolate, and banana bread. Because if you’re not already a fanatical lover of all three… you’ve possibly lost your way and landed here on Something Swanky.
When I first made this recipe back in 2013, I wasn’t totally sure how to incorporate the Oreos. All I knew was that I wanted to make a peanut butter banana bread with lots and lots of Oreos. So I just tried cramming them all into the batter. And it was…. fine. A little chaotic, not quite perfect, but still pretty okay.
And then about a year later, I made this Scotcheroo Banana Bread with the dreamiest peanut butter-butterscotch ganache on top. And that’s when I realized exactly what I wanted to do with the Oreos in this banana bread recipe.
It’s taken me another 3 long years to finally get around to doing it, but here we are– making a deep, dark chocolate and peanut butter ganache packed to the brim with Oreo crumbles! ????
The ganache! People! The ganache was the answer all along. They were never quite right in the batter. Somehow they blended in. That signature cookies & cream taste was lost in the flavor of bananas and the texture was way too soft. You just could find the cookies in the bread!
Well, there’s no getting lost in here. We’re smothering those babies in chocolate and spreading them front, top, and center of this recipe. You can’t take a bite without getting a mouthful of cookies and cream!
Peanut butter was another flavor that surprisingly got a little lost in the old recipe. It didn’t really have a place to stand out and shine back then. But today’s version of banana bread puts peanut butter right back out in the spotlight. It’s in the bread batter, in the ganache, and drizzled right on top where you can’t possibly miss it.
Chocolate, peanut butter, Oreo, and banana lovers– this bread is for you!
- 3 cups ripe bananas (7-8 medium bananas)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup peanut butter, melted in the microwave
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
For the Ganache Topping
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 10 Oreos, crushed
- Additional peanut butter for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Mash the bananas with a wire whisk. Mix in the brown sugar and sugar until well blended.
- Mix in the eggs, one at a time, and then the vanilla.
- Add the flour, melted peanut butter, salt, and baking soda. Mix with a spatula or wooden spoon. Fold in the walnuts.
- Prepare two loaf pans (10x5x3) with parchment paper and cooking spray. Divide the batter between the two pans.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes, until bread passes the toothpick test. Remove and let cool completely.
For the ganache:
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the peanut butter and chocolate chips together. Heat in 30-second increments, stirring in between heating until smooth.
- Fold in the Oreo crumbles.
- Spread ganache on top of bread. Drizzle melted peanut butter over top.