Lemon Poppyseed Banana Bread
Something about making Red Velvet Banana Bread last month was so mentally liberating. It totally freed me of any flavor constraints I was subconsciously assigning to banana bread– although I was having plenty of fun within the confines of peanut butter and chocolate (see the recipes at the bottom of this post)! But I loved trying a new flavor that I was a little unsure of, only to find I completely loved it.
Lemon + Banana really isn't all that gutsy, I know. But I still wasn't sure how it would turn out– would the banana overpower the lemon? Would it resemble the classic lemon poppyseed flavors at all?
The answer is: somehow the flavors just marry together, and you get both the banana and lemon-y taste in every bite. It's like eating spring-time in bread form! I think this bread would be delicious with a glaze or a dusting of powdered sugar too… you know, if you happen to like things extra suh-weet.
As with all banana breads, the flavor is even better the day after. Just something to keep in mind. Enjoy!
Products I used in the making…
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 overripe medium bananas, mashed
- 6 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tbsp poppyseeds
- lemon zest from one whole lemon
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line a 9x5x3 loaf pan with parchment or foil, and grease with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the banana and mix well.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing in between each addition. Mix in the lemon juice, flour, baking soda, vanilla, salt, poppyseeds, and lemon zest.
- Scrape batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before slicing.
Recipe ever so slightly adapted from: Food.com