Lemon Chia Seed Pudding Muffins
These Lemon Chia Seed Muffins are the perfect spring breakfast! They’re sweet and tart, and chia seeds give them an extra boost of fiber, protein, and omega-3 fatty acids! Just like Lemon Poppy Seed, but so much better! And adding pudding mix to the batter makes them extra soft and fluffy, plus it adds a little extra lemon flavor!
If you’ve been reading along with my Skinny Saturday posts, you know full well how much I struggle with healthy eating. It’s not easy, is it!? But easy or not, it seems that it must be done… *sigh*
As much as I like my fast food, desserts, and other generally unhealthy foods, I am planning on living beyond my late thirties. So I actually do like to keep up with my health foods, despite all the incriminating contradicting evidence.
Chia seeds are pretty amazing little guys. I first started hearing about them in smoothie and oatmeal recipes. And, honestly… I just didn’t love those. It was like seed overload in my food! Which was especially irritating in the smoothies, since I already have plenty of strawberry and raspberry seeds in those.
But they are so full of fiber, protein, and omega-3 fatty acids, and in only 1 tablespoon! So I really wanted to find a way to use them, but the texture just kept getting in the way. When I saw this Chia Seed Lemon Coffee Cake, I knew I had my answer! I love lemon poppy seed muffins and cakes, so why would Chia Seeds be any different in those same recipes? Other than the fact that they’re so much healthier!
As for the pudding mix? You don’t have to add it to the batter, but I’ve fallen in love with pudding mix in my muffins. It makes them so soft and fluffy. Plus, the lemon pudding mix gives it a little extra flavor!
These definitely won’t disappoint. They taste just like the Lemon Poppy Seed muffins we all love, but with health benefits!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest or 1 tsp lemon extract
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 1 package lemon flavored instant pudding mix
- Optional: 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Optional: 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Cream together the butter, sugar, eggs, lemon extract or zest until creamy.
- Mix in remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Distribute batter evenly among muffin tin cups (about 15).
- Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.
- Optional: whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice to make a glaze (add more lemon juice for a thinner glaze, add more powdered sugar for a thicker glaze). Dip the tops of the muffins in the glaze before serving for an extra sweet lemon kick!
Muffins from Friends:
If you liked this post, you’ll LOVE these pin boards…