Blueberry Crumble Muffins Recipe
This is my very favorite muffin recipe! I used blueberries this time, but I love using chocolate chips, raspberries, and other mix-ins too. And I always add the crumble, it's the best part!
Breakfast has always been my favorite meal of the day. Back in high school, I'd wake up around 5am every morning so that I could shower, do my hair and make up, and make myself fresh chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast.
Totally worth it.
Then I'd get to school and hear all my friends talk about how starved they were by lunch, because no one had eaten breakfast. I'd be all, “breakfast is the most important part of the day, y'all!” And then they'd all start in on how they just weren't hungry in the mornings, and that the thought of food first thing in the morning made them sick.
And I'd think, “……..wha????”
That entire concept had never even once registered in my brain. Missing any kind of meal (including snacks) made me feel faint. And to miss breakfast??? The best and most important meal of the whole day?! I just couldn't even fathom it.
But I think I usually nodded along and pretended to be in total agreement.
Ugh. How embarrassing.
Anyway. Crumble muffins are one of my favorite breakfast foods, and contributed substantially to my freshman 15(ish) in college. (Oh, BYU Creamery. How I miss you!)
This recipe calls for blueberries, but you can really use 1 cup of anything you like to eat in your muffins! I often use chocolate chips, raspberries, and pecans.
I have a weird thing with the texture of blueberries, so I like to use canned blueberries whenever I can (I actually used Lucky Leaf Blueberry Pie Filling in these, rinsed and drained). But feel free to swap the canned blueberries my recipe suggests for fresh blueberries if you prefer!
And you can always make these without the crumble if you'd like (but don't, because the crumble is amazing).
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned blueberries, rinsed and drained (or fresh!)
For the crumble topping:
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a muffin tin by lining the cups with paper muffin/cupcake cups and/or lightly spraying with a non-stick cooking spray (I do both).
- In a large bowl, beat the milk, oil, and egg until well mixed.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until a batter just forms (it will be lumpy). Gently fold in the blueberries using a large rubber spatula.
- Divide the batter even among the 12 muffin cups (a scant 1/4 cup of batter in each).
- Prepare the crumble: use a fork, pasty cutter, or your hands to "smush" together the flour, butter, and brown sugar into a crumbly mixture.
- Sprinkle the crumble over the batter in each muffin cup.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before unwrapping.
Muffins from Friends:
Don't miss a bite! Connect with Something Swanky: