Triple Chocolate Muffins
Indulgent chocolate muffins with a secret ingredient that makes them extra soft, extra fudgy, and extra chocolate-y!
I thought we might all be in the mood for a healthier recipe to balance out all the chocolate chip cookies, Samoas Fudge, and Snickerdoodle Pie we've been eating around here lately.
Just kidding. What I meant to say was that I thought we might all be in the mood for muffins that taste like brownies, because who needs to balance out dessert?! More like, let's make dessert for breakfast! ????
Which is exactly what I did.
These muffins are full of whole wheat goodness, healthy fat in the form of coconut oil, and a shot of Greek yogurt for an extra soft and moist center. So you see? Despite their chocolate-y goodness, these muffins really are more substantial than super fudgy cupcakes sans frosting.
I mean. They taste like cupcakes. Or brownies. But they aren't.
Because these are for breakfast. ????
So, besides that Greek yogurt, these muffins are packing a secret ingredient that makes them unbelievably soft and moist– almost cake like, really.
You know how pudding mix makes cookies and cakes super soft and tender? Well, of course, it does the same thing to muffins! Adding a box of chocolate pudding mix (I like Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate pudding mix, but you can use any chocolate mix) takes these muffins to a whole new level of indulgence.
And did I mention they taste like dessert? For breakfast?! ????
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 - 3.4 oz package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1/4 cup Hershey's cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a muffin tin by lining with paper liners or spraying with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together: wheat flour, flour, baking powder, baking soda, chocolate pudding mix, cocoa powder, and granulated sugar.
- Add the milk, yogurt, vanilla, coconut oil, and egg. Mix until batter forms. Don't over mix-- lumps are okay! Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon approximately 1/4 cup of batter into each muffin cup.
- Bake for 20 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack.