Coffee Cake Cheescake Recipe
This gorgeous coffee cake is soft and moist, easy-to-make, and has a delicious layer of cheesecake and fruit in the middle!
This post has been sponsored by Wilton. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
MAKE THE MORNING MEMORABLE WITH BRUNCH & WILTON!
This Coffee Cake Cheesecake would be perfect for a summertime brunch! Sweet berries add beautiful pops of color and texture.
THE ESSENTIALS YOU'LL NEED TO MAKE THIS COFFEE CAKE CHEESECAKE:
- A yellow cake mix. That's right! I love that this recipe is simplified by the use of a cake mix. And like I always say, you know what you're getting with a recipe that starts with a cake mix: moist, fluffy, and flavorful. I just really feel that you can't go wrong when you've got a good cake mix at the base of your recipe.
- Some basic dairy items: cream cheese, butter, sour cream, and an 8 oz. container of your favorite whipped topping. Nothing complicated.
- Your favorite seasonal berries and maybe a kiwi to add a pop of green.
- A Wilton Perfect Results nonstick 9-inch round springform pan. I can't live without mine these days! It makes any cake with a soft filling (like the no-bake cheesecake in this recipe) so easy to assemble. You can layer everything in one pan, and then pop off the outer edge without messing anything up!
A FEW THINGS TO NOTE ABOUT THIS RECIPE:
- This cake freezes really well. Just be sure to thaw it at room temperature for about an hour before serving.
- Slicing the cake and removing the top half can be a little tricky. I used this flexible plastic cutting mat to make the transfer easier by simply sliding it underneath the top half and lifting it away. You could also probably wiggle a piece of parchment paper or foil in between the layer after it's cut and gently lift the top half of the cake using that.
- Even though Wilton's springform pan is nonstick, it's always a good idea to run a knife (I like using an offset spatula) around the edge of the cake before removing the outer ring of the springform pan. Just in case.
For the Cake:
- 15.25 ounce package yellow cake mix (dry mix only)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅓ cup water
For the Crumb Topping:
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp butter, cold and cut into pieces
For the No-Bake Cheesecake:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- Approximately 2 cups sliced berries and kiwi (you can sub your favorite fruits)
Prepare the Cake and Crumb Topping
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Whisk together the cake mix, egg, sour cream, butter, vanilla, and water until a thick batter forms. It’s okay if some lumps remain.
- Spread the batter in aWilton Perfect Results nonstick 9-inch round springform pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon for the crumb topping. Use a pastry cutter or large fork to cut the butter into the flour mixture until it looks crumbly.
- Press a large handful of the mixture into a large clump in your palm. Gently crumble the clump over the batter into the springform pan. Repeat with remaining crumb topping mixture. This process produces big, yummy crumbles that won’t dissolve into the batter during baking!
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cake cool completely and gently remove from the springform pan.
- Replace the round edge to the bottom piece of the pan and clamp it securely in place.
- Use a cake cutter or a long serrated bread knife to cut the cake through the center, dividing the top and bottom half as level as possible.
- Place the bottom half of the cake back in the springform pan. Set the top half aside.
Make the No-Bake Cheesecake & Assemble
- Use an electric mixer to whisk together the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Fold in the Cool Whip.
- Place sliced fruit around the edge of the cake, cut side touching the pan. Layer the remaining sliced fruit over the cake.
- Pour the batter into the springform pan on top of the fruit.
- Place the top half of the cake on top of the cheesecake filling and gently press down to level.
- Chill for at least 3 hours before serving.
More Brunch recipes!