Banana Crumble Breakfast Cake Recipe
Soft banana cake made with Greek yogurt, bananas, whole wheat flour, coconut oil, and topped with a brown sugar pecan crumble. Nutritious enough for breakfast, and delicious enough for dessert!
This Banana Crumble Cake has been a long time favorite recipe in our house. It's unbelievably soft, has a tender crumb, and a crumble topping that will have you licking your fingers in order to grab every last morsel. Today's recipe is basically that cake… but a little more suitable for breakfast. I replaced the cream cheese with nonfat Greek yogurt, half of the white flour with whole wheat flour, and the butter with coconut oil. You seriously can't even tell the difference in taste! This recipe makes a large 9×13 pan of cake, and it's great for feeding a crowd or even just for quick-and-easy breakfasts during the school week.
How do you like your bananas?? Vote on my Facebook page!
This Banana Crumble Breakfast Cake has an entire cup of Greek yogurt in it! Your picky eaters will never know…
A FEW THINGS TO NOTE ABOUT THIS RECIPE:
- Be sure to use overly ripe bananas that are soft and have lots of brown spots. This will make the cake sweeter and help to keep it moist.
- These make great muffins too. If you'd rather make these in a more portable form, simply fill each muffin tin cup with ¼ cup of batter and sprinkle some crumble topping over each one. Bake for 20 minutes.
- I have not tried making these with ALL whole wheat flour, and I also have not tried replacing the butter in the crumble topping with coconut oil. But I think both of those substitutions are worth trying if you are interested in increasing the nutritional value a little more.
- I only had pecans on hand, so that's what I used, but walnuts would work well in the crumble topping also.
For the Cake:
- 3 medium bananas, mashed
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
For the Topping:
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 tbs flour
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9x13 dish.
- Whisk together the bananas and sugar. Mix in the eggs, one at a time.
- Mix in the oil, Greek yogurt, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until batter forms.
- Spread the batter in prepared baking dish.
- Prepare the crumble topping: mix together the flour and brown sugar. Cut in the butter until crumbly. Mix in the nuts.
- Sprinkle the the topping over the batter.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Calories 310
- Total Fat 16 g
- Saturated Fat 11 g
- Total Carbohydrate 42 g
- Dietary Fiber 1 g
- Sugars 37 g
- Protein 3 g
Bananas for Banana Bread?? Me too!
CHECK OUT MY FAVORITE BANANA BREAD RECIPES: