Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread Recipe
This chocolate chip zucchini bread is devilishly good. You'd never guess that it was full of fruits and veggies with no added oil or butter!
I could have titled this recipe in lots of ways. For instance, I could have gone with…
Gloriously Melted Chocolate Chips Everywhere Bread,
or You'd Never Believe There are Vegetables (and Fruit!) Hidden Inside Bread,
or I Will Never Use Zucchini Any Other Way Again Bread.
———–> Side note. For the life of me, I still have not mastered the art of taking the bread out of the oven at just the right time! See that big crack down the middle? I'd estimate I took it out about 5 minutes to soon. Always trust your toothpick test!
Anyway. One of my favorite parts of this bread was…. the chocolate chips. No surprises there, I guess ????. You can use any chocolate chips you'd like, but lately I've become very partial to these 60% cacao bittersweet baking chips by Ghirardelli. I've been buying these huge bags at Sam's… which have been lasting me about a week.
Because I'm also addicted to using them in my peanut butter granola bowls in the morning. And sometimes at night. And for lunch. It's reallllllllly good granola. You should try it.
But back to the recipe at hand 🙂
Another awesome thing about this recipe is that it has NO oil or butter! Nope. I simply tweaked my mom's banana bread. We discovered a long time ago that mom's recipe doesn't really NEED the oil, and most of the time we just skip it altogether.
I was nervous that adding zucchini to our banana bread recipe would be too much moisture, so I decided against adding the oil. And voila!
Of course… that doesn't mean you can't slather butter on top of a warm slice of bread with all that melted chocolate. Because that would be downright uncivil.
- 3 medium, overripe bananas
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups All Purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- dash of ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips + additional for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Prepare a 9x5 baking pan by lining it with parchment or foil and lightly spraying with nonstick spray.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Prepare a 9x5 loaf baking pan by lining it with parchment or foil and lightly spraying nonstick spray.
- Mash the bananas with a fork or whisk. Whisk in the sugar, egg, and vanilla.
- Pat the shredded zucchini with a paper towel to absorb excess moisture. Mix the zucchini into the banana mixture.
- Mix in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. The batter will be lumpy.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan (top with more chocolate chips if you want). Bake for 55-60 minutes (start checking for doneness with a toothpick at 55 minutes). Let cool.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 253Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 162mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 3gSugar: 29gProtein: 4g