Strawberry Basil Oatmeal Bowl Recipe
A few weeks ago I made these Strawberry Basil Muffins. And I mentioned in that post a Strawberry Basil Oatmeal Bowl that my husband and I had become obsessed with. This is that.
And it. is. fabulous.
Before I go on about my undying love for this healthy and delicious breakfast dish, let's break it down so you know exactly what I'm talking about here…
First, the ingredients we're working with are: steel cut oats, quinoa, vanilla Greek yogurt (there's no Greek yogurt tang, so have no fear if it's not normally your thing), honey, almonds, and, naturally– strawberries and basil.
Second, this is a chilled oatmeal. I know this isn't news to some of you oatmeal buffs out there, but trying cold oatmeal was a big, bold move for me! And I have to say, I probably won't ever go back. I love the flavor and texture of eating it chilled. Plus, I love that we can keep a big bowl of it in the refrigerator and eat it for breakfast (lunch and dinner too!) all week long. It's an awesome on-the-go breakfast for my husband who is always rushed on his way out the door.
I discovered this recipe at Whole Foods. I was completely reluctant to try it– I had never tried the strawberry/basil combo (which sounded weird to me), and I'm not much of an oatmeal fan in the first place.
But thank goodness I did try it! Love at first bite! And I seriously don't think we could function on a daily basis without being stocked up with a big bowl of this oatmeal. It's crunchy, creamy, sweet, and full of really great flavor. The basil really takes it over the edge and is the defining flavor that really makes you crave this oatmeal.
Prep Tip: my husband and I like to make a double batch of this at the beginning of the week. The recipe calls for incorporating the strawberries into the oatmeal from the get-go. But since our batch is so big and lasts so long, we're always worried about the strawberries getting soggy as they get old (yuck). So we keep the strawberries out and add them on a bowl by bowl basis.
This is definitely a family favorite of ours, and I hope you enjoy it as much as we have!!
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1 cup quinoa, pre-rinsed
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 large lemon, zest and juice
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Heat the coconut oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the oats and quinoa and cook for 2-3 minutes, until they begin to smell toasted.
- Add the water and salt.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and spoon the grains into a large mixing bowl. Let cool for about 30 minutes.
- Add the yogurt, honey, lemon zest and juice, basil, strawberries and almonds. Mix well until ingredients are combined and the grains and strawberries are evenly coated in the mixture.
- Refrigerate overnight (or until completely chilled). Serve chilled.
Have you made a Something Swanky recipe? Post it on Instagram and tag me @somethingswanky or use the hashtag #somethingswankyrecipes. I’d love to re-post!
Be sure to also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, YouTube, and in the Something Swanky Dessert Recipes Facebook group!