Nutella Mousse Layer Cake
This Nutella Cake is unreal! Layers of flourless chocolate cake, Nutella mousse, Nutella buttercream, chocolate ganache, and a Ferrero Rocher “cherry” on top.
I have been completely obsessed with Nutella in baking lately. So I decided to GO BIG with today’s recipe! My personal philosophy is that if you are going to make a dessert with Nutella, it needs to TASTE LIKE NUTELLA (not chocolate). So even though the top and bottom layers of this cake are purely chocolate, the Nutella Mousse and buttercream in the middle are the stars of the show, and I can promise you that this cake absolutely tastes like Nutella!!!!
Pssssst! Join my Facebook Group for new desserts daily.
There are FIVE insanely delicious layers in this Nutella Mousse Layer Cake!
A FEW THINGS TO NOTE ABOUT THIS RECIPE:
- I’ve simplified the process as much as I can, but no matter how you cut it– it’s still a little labor intensive to make 5 layers of cake (well, technically 4 since one layer is just straight-up Nutella). But don’t be scared! All the layers are very easy to make and don’t require too much hands on time. You could easily make this cake one layer at a time and get other things done in between layers (as in, you don’t need to prepare this cake in its entirety all at one time).
- It’s hard to see the difference between the mousse layer and the buttercream layer, because they are almost exactly the same color. Which isn’t a huge deal and obviously doesn’t affect the taste at all. But for presentation purposes only, I’ll probably add 1-2 tbsp cocoa powder to the mousse layer next time (that should give the cake a nice gradient look).
- I worked off of a few Nutella mousse recipes to cobble together the recipe that worked best for me. All of the recipes I researched called for mascarpone cream and homemade whipped cream. I don’t ever have mascarpone cream on hand, so I subbed a mixture of cream cheese, whipping cream, and sour cream. If you have mascarpone cream on hand, feel free to sub 1/2 cup of that in for the cream cheese/whipping cream/sour cream that I call for in the mousse recipe.
- Also, I chose to replace the homemade whipped cream with Cool Whip. One) because it was more convenient, and two) I felt like it would make a “firmer” mousse which is a pretty important quality to the center of a layer cake. However, if you’d like, you can use 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream + 3 tbsp sugar whipped up.
What’s my favorite part?
That mousse filling!!! I would have been happy just eating it by the spoonful. ????
Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup Nutella to spread on top
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup Nutella Hazelnut Spread
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups Cool Whip
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup Nutella Hazelnut Spread
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- dash of salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
Layer 1: Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Generously grease a 10-inch round springform pan.
- Over medium heat, melt together the chocolate chips and the butter. Stir constantly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, salt, vanilla, eggs, and cocoa powder.
- Mix the melted chocolate mixture into the sugar-eggs mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 20-22 minutes. It's okay if a toothpick doesn't come out totally clean. Set aside to cool inside the springform pan (do not unlock the pan).
Layer 2: Nutella
- Spread 1/2 cup of Nutella evenly over the cake.
Layer 3: Nutella Mousse
- Use an electric mixer to beat together the cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, and sour cream until smooth. Use a spatula as needed to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Set aside.
- Over low heat, dissolve the gelatin into the 3 tablespoons of water. Stir gently until dissolved. Add the Nutella spread and continue stirring until fully incorporated.
- Pour the Nutella mixture into the cream cheese mixture and whisk vigorously until smooth.
- Mix in the vanilla and Cool Whip.
- Spread the mousse over the chocolate cake layer in the spring form pan and place in the refrigerator.
Layer 4: Nutella Buttercream
- In a stand mixer, whisk together the butter and Nutella until smooth.
- Mix in one cup of the powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of the whipping cream. Whisk on high speed until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Repeat with remaining powdered sugar and whipping cream.
- Mix in vanilla and salt.
- Spread about 1/2 of the buttercream over the mousse layer (this is easier to do if the mousse has had enough time in the fridge to firm up a little bit, but it's not impossible to spread even if the mousse isn't completely set up yet).
- Put back in the refrigerator to continue chilling.
Layer 5: Ganache
- Over medium-low heat, stir together the 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and 1/3 cup of heavy whipping cream. Continue to stir until chocolate is melted and ganache forms.
- Pour and spread the ganache over the buttercream layer.
- Let chill for several hours or overnight.
- Release the springform cake pan siding and gently remove the cake.
- Keep chilled until ready to serve.
Garnish the top of the cake with remaining buttercream, Ferrero Rocher, and chocolate shavings.
Calories 437 | Total Fat 33g | Saturated Fat 22g | Total Carbohydrate 35g | Dietary Fiber 2.5g | Total Sugars 28g | Protein 7.3g
1 YEAR AGO: SAMOAS FUDGE
2 YEARS AGO: COPYCAT COWBOY BARK
3 YEARS AGO: COOKIES & CREAM BARK
4 YEARS AGO: SAMOAS CHEESECAKE
5 YEARS AGO: PEANUT BUTTER KANDY CAKES CHESS PIE
6 YEARS AGO: THIN MINT DIET COKE MUG CAKE
7 YEARS AGO: RAINBOW CUPCAKES