Homemade Graham Crackers
Homemade graham crackers have been on my baking bucket list forever! And I can’t believe how much time I’ve wasted not having homemade grahams in my life.
They are incredibly easy to make and taste so much better than store-bought!
Here’s the walk through:
Put the ingredients in your food processor. (The only weird-ish sort of ingredient that you may not already have on hand is wheat germ OR wheat bran).
Process the ingredients until they turn from crumbs to big clumps.
Roll out the dough and cut squares (or other shapes– Emma made a heart shaped cracker!).
Chill for 30 minutes. Bake for 13-ish. Cool completely.
And that’s it! So easy, right!? There is seriously no reason not to make these right away.
These grahams are buttery, a little sweet, and perfectly crispy crunchy!
And, of course, they make the perfect S’mores. I love how homemade graham crackers make a S’more feel so much more substantial. I mean, I like the marshmallow and chocolate plenty. But having good, hearty homemade graham crackers on either side? It just makes them that much better!
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ or wheat bran
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter, cold
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp honey
- Place the dry ingredients into a food processor and mix for a moment, just to blend together the ingredients.
- Cut the butter into small chunks and add to the food processor as well as the honey, milk, and molasses. Continue to blend until crumbs form and then large clumps.
- Turn dough out onto a non-stick surface and work into a large ball. Flatten some with the palm of your hand.
- Cover in plastic wrap and roll the dough out under the plastic wrap to be about 1/8 inch thick. Keeping the plastic wrap on top will keep it from cracking and tearing (although there will still be some cracks around the edges).
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out the crackers. Use a toothpick to poke 4 holes in each cracker. If you want it to look like store-bought cookie, score the center of the crackers.
- Place crackers on a lined ungreased cookie sheet, and chill for 30 WHOLE minutes (don't cheat!). Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes (mine were burnt at 15, perfect at about 13). Transfer to a wire rack for cooling immediately after removing from oven. Cookies will crispen as they cool.
Recipe Source: Joy of Cookie
Have you made a Something Swanky recipe? Post it on Instagram and tag me @somethingswanky or use the hashtag #somethingswankyrecipes. I’d love to re-post!
Be sure to also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, YouTube, and in the Something Swanky Dessert Recipes Facebook group!