Favorite Cake Mix Cookies
I love the creative liberty using a cake mix gives you in baking… all those different flavors! From Funfetti to Devils Food Cake to Red Velvet, this is the ultimate cake mix cookie recipe for you!
Ok. Confession time.
I made cake mix chocolate chip cookies to share with you but… that’s kind of boring. And I don’t really expect you to use this recipe to make chocolate chip cookies. Because, if you wanted chocolate chip cookies, you could just make chocolate chip cookies. Right?
So why am I posting this recipe I don’t really expect you to use?
Because I think it’s a really great base recipe that you can change up using different cake mixes and different mix ins. I know it’s easiest for me to work off of a simple recipe, and then create variations based off of that one recipe.
I’m thinking there are a ton of fun holiday cake mix cookies you could do! Like maybe spice cake especially in the fall. And red velvet for both Christmastime and Valentine’s! (And 4th of July for that matter).
I found this recipe over at Sally’s Baking Addiction (packed to the brim with sprinkles, of course!) earlier this year, and I’ve made them several time since. And I just LOVE them. Which makes sense, because Sally is absolutely the queen of cookies (and sprinkles)!
My old cake mix recipe called for cake mix, oil, and eggs. And the cookies were… oily. And flat. And kind of just tasted like greasy cake mix. Which is why you’ve never seen it on this blog. I only made them back in the old days when I would occasionally run out of flour (that NEVER happens these days) and happened to have a cake mix on hand… and needed cookies.
These cookies, on the other hand, are not oily. They are dense, and chewy, and taste like COOKIES! And it is SUCH a fun recipe to experiment with. I hope you get a chance to make these and even get a little creative with the recipe!
- 3/4 cup butter, chilled*
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/4 cup cake mix, any flavor
- 1 cup chocolate chips (any combination of chips/mix ins)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat the butter, brown sugar, and sugar until smooth, and you can no longer see any butter chunks.*
- Add the egg and vanilla, and mix until smooth.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the hot water. Add the baking soda-water to the mixing bowl. Add the flour and cake mix, and mix just until the dough forms.
- Stir the chocolate chips (or other mix ins) in with a spoon or spatula.
- Scoop the dough onto a lined baking sheet. For this recipe, I like to stack two tablespoon scoops on top of each other for one cookie, and I keep them at least two inches apart from the other cookies.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes until the edges are set. Let cool completely on baking sheet.
If you don't have a stand mixer, you'll need to let the butter soften before mixing. Which means you MUST chill the dough for 30 minutes before scooping and baking.
Check out these Lemon White Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies over at Crazy for Crust!
Don’t miss a bite! Connect with Something Swanky!
Cookie fiend? Me too! Check out these favorite recipes of mine…