Dirt Cupcakes Recipe
Chocolate cupcakes with whipped chocolate ganache dipped in Oreo crumbs and topped with a candy coated strawberry (that looks like a carrot!). These dirt cupcakes are perfect for springtime!
Check out all of my springtime recipes right here.
Main Ingredients Needed for Dirt Cupcakes
- chocolate cupcakes
- whipped ganache frosting (or any chocolate frosting)
- Oreo crumbs
- orange melting candy (like Wilton's)
Recipe Tips & Notes
- I used a blender to crush the Oreos used for the “dirt.” You could just crush them with a rolling pin or mallet, but I wanted a superfine crumble to closely resemble dirt.
- I've seen a lot of pictures online of these candy dipped strawberries made to look like carrots, and so often people don't pipe the lines going across the top of the “carrot.” It's not a huge deal, but I feel like it's a detail that really makes these look awesome. And it's so simple to do! Just put a spoonful of the melted candy into a ziploc bag and snip a tiny corner to pipe lines on each strawberry.
- If you're looking to save a little time (and skip the dirty dishes!), just use store-bought chocolate frosting. It won't make a difference to the appearance at all.
- If using my recipe for whipped chocolate ganache, keep the strawberries stored in the refrigerator separate from the cupcakes until ready to serve. At that point, press each one into the cupcakes. The reason for this is that the strawberries need to be kept chilled or they'll start to go bad and leak juice into the cupcakes. And the frosting shouldn't be chilled, otherwise it becomes too firm.
Related Recipe Video: Speckled Easter Egg Cookies
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”yiiTrudS” upload-date=”2019-03-23T23:32:03.000Z” name=”Easter Egg Cookies” description=””]
- Mound the chocolate frosting on top of each cupcake.
- Crush the Oreos and press each cupcake in the crumbled Oreos.
- Melt the orange candy according to the directions on the package. Dip each strawberry in the candy all the way up to the stem and shake off any excess. Allow to cool and harden on a nonstick surface (like parchment paper or a silicone baking mat).
- Spoon some melted candy into a zippered bag, and snip off a tiny corner. Pipe horizontal lines across the strawberries.
- Once the strawberries have hardened, push the tips of each one into a cupcake.
See notes in the post for storage.
Looking for REAL Carrot Desserts?
Check out these Carrot Cake Recipes!