Caramel Butter Pecan Cake Batter Dip Recipe
I love the rich, decadent, buttery flavors of a butter pecan dessert. Although Butter Pecan doesn't get a lot of time in the spotlight (it seems like Chocolate Peanut Butter and Funfetti hog it all), I think it's really the ultimate in comfort food desserts.
It reminds me of summer time. Not summer time now (because, omg, when did summer get so busy?!). But I mean summer time when I was a kid. The end of summer vacation always felt quiet to me. Like it knew the end was coming, and that we'd all have to jump into the madness of school time soon enough. So, for just a few days, time would totally stand still, the sun wouldn't stop shining, and it would just completely and utterly feel like summertime.
To me, that's butter pecan: Southern, cozy, full of sunshine and thick ribbons of caramel.
And that's what inspired this Butter Pecan Cake Batter Dip! It's like Butter Pecan Cake meets Butter Pecan Ice Cream in dip form. It's completely comforting and delicious and perfect for warm summer evening entertaining.
Recently, Safeway asked me to create the perfect summer dessert recipe using some of my favorite ingredients from their store. I've been obsessed with Dannon® Light & Fit® Greek Yogurt lately (see this Healthy Peanut Butter Mousse, this Stracciatella Yogurt Bowl, and this Healthier Orange Fluff). And when I saw that my beloved yogurt was one of Safeways featured products, I jumped at the chance to use it in another delicious and sweet recipe!
Remembering this Skinny Funfetti Cake Batter Dip, I decided to make a Butter Pecan version! While I like dips that use butter and cream cheese (as many of my own recipes do), I really enjoy the light, fluffy texture using this yogurt brings to a recipe. And, honestly, I haven't found another brand that compares when it comes to make dessert recipes. It's still thick and creamy and perfectly sweet, but without all of the fat.
…which means you can eat more of it, right?!
- 1 cup Dannon® Light & Fit® Greek Yogurt, Vanilla
- 16 ounces Cool Whip (lite or fat free is okay)
- 15.25 ounces Butter Pecan cake mix OR Yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- approximately 1/2 cup Dulce de Leche*, divided
- optional: milk for thinning if desired
- Use a hand mixer, stand mixer, or food processor to whip together the yogurt and Cool Whip. Add the cake mix and 1 tbsp of the Dulce de Leche, and mix until smooth.
- Add 1-3 tablespoons of milk (1 tbsp at a time) if the dip looks thicker than you want it to be (I didn't add any to this recipe, but I have in similar recipes in the past-- it's just a personal preference).
- If using a food processor, remove the blade. Add the pecans and mix in by hand.
- Heat the Dulce de Leche for about 20 seconds in the microwave. Pour into the dip and use a spatula to gently fold it it, leaving ribbons visible.
- Transfer to serving bowl and serve with pretzels, graham crackers, chocolate cookies, or fruit!
*I used canned Nestle La Lechera Dulce de Leche, which is very thick. You could also use a thinner caramel sauce (like a sundae sauce) if that's easier for you. Just skip the warming step, and be aware that you probably won't have thick ribbons of caramel through out.
There's more! Be sure to enter the Safeway Summer Savings Sweepstakes:
- The Summer of Savings Sweepstakes is running from August 5 through September 5, 2014
- Enter to win a $100 store gift card daily. There are 5 winners each day!
- Visit http://safeway.promo.eprize.com/summersavings/ to enter