A flaky, buttery crust underneath a gooey, fudgy brownie with a perfect crackly top. This simple Brownie Pie is exactly what your Thanksgiving needs!
CHECK OUT MY FAVORITE PIE RECIPES ON FACEBOOK + GET SNEAK PEEKS OF RECIPES & PHOTOS IN MY FB RECIPE GROUP!
Ingredients Needed for Brownie Pie
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- brown sugar
- cocoa powder
How to Make a Braided Pie Crust
Step 1: fold the excess of the bottom crust over the edge of the filling
Don’t worry about making this pretty. You’re going to cover it up with the braided crust anyway!
Step 2: cut a second crust into strips and braid the strips three at a time
If your strips aren’t perfectly even, don’t stress about it! NBD.
Step 3: Gently press the braided strips around the edge of the pie.
Use egg wash as a “glue.” Brush egg wash on top of the excess crust that is folded over the filling. Place the braided strips on top and gently press. Brush the top of the braided crust with egg wash as well to help it brown.
Easiest All-Butter Pie Crust
Don’t be scared of making a homemade pie crust! My recipe is SO easy and delicious.
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”XMJPjbn0″ upload-date=”2016-09-12T19:59:10.000Z” name=”Pie Crust” description=”Pie Crust”]
- 2 unbaked pie crusts (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 egg for an egg wash
- optional: coarse sugar for crust garnish
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup dark cocoa powder
Make the Brownie Batter
- Melt the butter and 1 cup of the chocolate chips together in the microwave. Stir until smooth.
- Whisk in the sugar and brown sugar, vanilla, and salt.
- Whisk in the eggs one at a time.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, and remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Stir until batter forms.
Assemble the Pie
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Press one of the pie crusts into the bottom of an 8- or 9- inch round baking dish.
- Pour the brownie batter into the pie crust.
- Cut the second pie crust into strips and braid. Glue the braided pie crust on top of the first pie crust using an egg wash (see the post for photographs and notes). Optional: sprinkle the pie crust with coarse sanding sugar. Additionally, sprinkle the brownie batter with a small handful of chocolate chips.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until crackly on top and crust is brown.
Let cool almost completely before serving. Can be kept covered at room temperature until ready to serve.
Get your PIE on with these recipes!
Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie