Rolo Oatmeal Cookie Bars
About 4 years and 2-ish months ago, I spent a lot of time in bed in the mornings with my newborn baby and my new found obsession with reading blogs.
The first blog I think I ever started reading was, of course, Bakerella. Soon after I discovered Cookies and Cups, Bake at 350, and Somewhat Simple. I remember such long, glorious mornings that I did nothing other than snuggle my baby and sift through dozens of yummy recipes and cute craft ideas. It was blissful.
Although, ironically, at the time, I’m pretty sure I thought those mornings were anything but. It took Emma and I months to get the hang of nursing, and I think I have a foggy recollection that all those rosy mornings in bed also involved and lot of tears, pain, and lanolin cream.
Funny how the memory plays tricks on us like that. But I’m glad it does. I’d rather have sweet, sunny memories through rose-colored glasses any day over painful recollections of how it feels to nurse a baby for the first time! Can I get an Amen?!
I was actually going somewhere with that. And it was sort of relevant to the recipe, so just hang in there with me.
Back to those blogs I loved in my beginning blogger days– now that I have a few years of my own blogging experience under my belt, I always think it’s so fun when I get a chance to interact with some of those bloggers I’ve loved from the start. Sometimes I get to chat with them in person at conferences or on brand trips. And sometimes it’s just simple virtual stuff like putting on reader giveaways together. I always get a geeky little thrill when I get to do something fun with one of my blogging idols.
Here’s the segue: Steph over at Somewhat Simple (one of my first blog loves) has been doing a really fun series with a bunch of different bloggers. She’s assigned each of us a letter of the alphabet to use as the theme of a post. So fun!
My letter was “R,” and I decided to use ROLOS in my recipe.
These Rolo Oatmeal Cookie Bars were unreal. They were soft and chewy, full of chocolate, caramel, pecans, an oats. Seriously– comfort food at it’s finest. I could have eaten the whole pan by myself without a problem.
These Rolo Cookie Bars have a classic oatmeal chocolate chip cookie taste with an amazing ooey, gooey twist. In all seriousness, these have been some of my favorite cookies to come out of the oven in quite some time! If you’re a cookie person in the slightest, I know you are going to adore these just as much as I have.
Oh– and did I mention? These are SO incredibly easy if you keep a batch of my Oatmeal Cookie Mix on hand. Like, dangerously easy…
A few quick notes before you run to the kitchen:
- Don’t try and make these into cookies. The caramel melts out everywhere, and it’s pretty disastrous.
- If you eat these warm, they will be just as ooey and gooey as they look in the pictures. However, if you want to cut them up and plate them, no worries! Once they’ve cooled to about room temp, they are very easy to cut for serving or even to package.
- While I’m not the biggest Rolo candy fan, I have to admit they are the best caramel filled chocolate candies for baking. Don’t try to sub with any other caramel filled chocolate candy, because they don’t hold up as well. In my experience, the caramel bakes out and incorporates with the cookie dough. Which is yummy, but you would miss out on all the pockets full of caramel!
>>Click here<< to visit my post on Somewhat Simple and get the recipe!
Have you made a Something Swanky recipe? Post it on Instagram and tag me @somethingswanky or use the hashtag #somethingswankyrecipes. I’d love to re-post!
Be sure to also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, YouTube, and in the Something Swanky Dessert Recipes Facebook group!
Latest posts by Ashton (see all)
- Yellow Birthday Cake with Creamy Chocolate Frosting - August 24, 2016
- Epicurious Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies - August 22, 2016
- Nutella Cookie Dough Ice Cream Cake - August 19, 2016