Brie & Jam Hand Pies
If you follow me on Instagram, you know about my newly discovered obsession with brie cheese as a dessert item.
Oh. my. gosh. Where has this stuff been my whole life???
I’ve actually only ever eaten brie once before (as in, one other time before last weekend in my entire life). It was on fruit and bread, and I liked it. But for some reason, I always just thought of Brie as a restaurant-type food. Not anything I’d ever have in my own kitchen. No particular reason, it was just compartmentalized in my head that way.
I bought a wedge of the stuff last weekend on an impulse and asked you all for some of your favorite ways to eat it. You all had some AMAZING suggestions, and I’m looking forward to digging in to all of them at some point (very soon). I discovered that I LOVE it baked with brown sugar and pecans with french bread (I wanted to try it with apples, but I forgot to buy them :/ ). And my friend Lisa suggested pairing it with apricot jam and puff pastry.
I had to sub in some pie crust for the puff pastry, but it still turned out phenomenally! What a terrific pairing the brie and the apricot jam make!! And all wrapped up in a buttery, flaky pie crust makes it possibly one of the best comfort foods I’ve ever eaten. Seriously wow!
Notes about this recipe:
- The cheese and jam will definitely ooze out of the sides some, no way around that. They’re still delicious!
- These measurements are SUPER approximate. Changing them up won’t make a drastic difference at all. And I’m sorry that I just put a “wedge” of cheese– I can’t remember how many ounces it was. Next time I go to the store I’ll check so I can update that! But, in general, I think the wedge sizes at grocery stores are all probably pretty similar.
- Hand Pies from Friends:
- Brownie Batter Hand Pies by Crazy For Crust
- Salted Caramel Apple Hand Pies by Just a Taste
- Custard Hand Pies by In Katrina’s Kitchen