Hostess Cupcakes: Back to School Treat Week
- 1 box devil’s food cake mix
- 1 small pkg instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup chocolate milk (the good kind)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- approximately 1 cup heavy whipping cream (don’t measure it out)
- 1 – 7 oz. jar Marshmallow Cream
- 1/2 c. shortening
- 1 1/3 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2-3 Tbsp. milk
- Whisk together all cake ingredients (reserving the chocolate chips) until a smooth batter forms. Fold in the chocolate chips. Distribute batter evenly among 24-36 liners (do not over fill– you don’t want domed cupcakes for this). Bake at 350º for 20 minutes. Let cool.
- Using an electric hand mixer, beat together the shortening and the marshmallow cream in a very large bowl (there will be splatter– you’ve been warned). Beat in the powdered sugar, 1/3 cup at a time. Add the vanilla and the salt. Beat in the milk, 1 tbsp. at a time, beating in between additions, until mixture is smooth and fluffy.
- Cut out small circles from the tops of the cupcakes. Use a ziptop bag to pipe the fluff filling into each hole. Replace the cupcake top over the filling and press gently to flatten.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat the chocolate chips and whipping cream for 1 minute. Whisk until smooth. Let cool for 5 minutes. Spoon over each of the cupcakes.
- Let the ganache cool for at least an hour if piping on the Little Debbie swirl on top. (I just used canned frosting for that part– but feel free to use whatever frosting you’d like!)
You can save this recipe to your own Recipe Box via ZipList. And they’ll take the ingredients from the recipe and generate a shopping list just for you accessible on your computer or mobile device! I use mine all the time. If you aren’t already using this really awesome recipe tool, take a minute to sign up at ZipList.com (it’s free)!
Latest posts by Ashton (see all)
- Rocky Road Fudge - December 18, 2014
- Vanilla Bean Fudge - December 17, 2014
- How to Frost Cookies like a Pro using Canned Frosting… with your kids! - December 15, 2014