Take 5 Candy Bar-Inspired Rice Krispies Treats
Do you ever watch Chopped? It's one of our favorite shows. Well, sort of inadvertently. Like, I never turn on the TV looking to watch Chopped, but if I stumble across it– I cannot turn it off. And they'll run like 10 back-to-back episodes of it late at night, so once I get sucked in, I just get comfy for the rest of the night…
Anyway, for those of you not familiar with the show, it's a Food Network program in which they give contestants a basket full of ingredients. These ingredients hardly ever seem to go well together from the start (and sometimes they're really weird!), but it's the contestants' job to use all of the random ingredients to create a dish more delicious than the other contestant' dishes.
Ever since I've started telling people that I'm a food blogger, that's always something they like to throw at me: “oooooooh, you should be on Chopped!”
Because the recipes on my blog (which primarily consist of sugar, butter, and chocolate chips) clearly qualify me to work with cow's feet and oyster goop. Obviously.
However…. I do sometimes like to walk in my office and play my own version of Chopped (aka: the easiest version ever). When I walked into my office today and dug through my drawers and shelves of candy and general chocolatey items, a few things caught my eye: caramel, chocolate covered pretzels, and rice krispies.
What?! You expected me to get more creative than Rice Krispies Treats?? Not today, friend. We'll have to save the oyster goop for another episode… er.. I mean, post.
But back to these ingredients…
I decided to add a layer of crunchy peanut butter and a milk chocolate drizzle on top to make a copycat Take 5 plopped right on top of a Rice Krispies Treat! So good. And so easy!
I had these all ready in less than 15 minutes! Which means if you make them right now…. you could be eating them in 15 minutes!!!! What are you waiting for?
- 10 ounces miniature marshmallows
- 1/4 cup butter
- 5 cups puffed rice cereal
- 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1 cup caramel pieces
- 1 tbsp heavy cream or half & half (water is actually fine too)
- 1 cup chocolate covered pretzels, broken into large pieces (I just did a rough chop)
- 1/4 cup Hershey's Baking Melts
- Line a 9x9 baking dish with parchment paper or grease very well. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, microwave the marshmallows and the butter for 1 minute. Stir until smooth
- Use a rubber spatula to gently mix in the puffed rice cereal. Mix until cereal is coated.
- Gently press the cereal mixture into the prepared baking dish. Don't press hard-- just enough to spread the cereal to the edges of the dish. (I use a greased rubber spatula to do this).
- Spread the peanut butter over the krispie treats, and set aside.
- Place the caramel pieces in a small, microwave safe dish. Pour the cream or half & half or milk or water (the fattier liquids make the caramel creamier, but you don't have to use them) over the caramel. Microwave for 1 minute. Stir until smooth. Pour caramel over the peanut butter.
- Press the chocolate covered pretzel pieces into the caramel.
- Place the baking melts into a gallon sized zip top bag, unsealed, and microwave for 30-60 seconds until the chocolate has melted. Snip the corner of the bag, and drizzle the chocolate over the pretzels.
- Let cool at room temp for about 30 minutes to let chocolate harden, OR put it in the refrigerator or freezer to set up the chocolate in half the time!
- Cut into 2 inch squares to serve. Store in airtight container for up to a week.
Don't miss a bite!
Connect with Something Swanky:
If you like this recipe, I know you'll love these other great recipes from me and my friends!