S’mOreo Seven Layer Bars Recipe
I am constantly composing posts in my head. All. day. long.
Every situation I'm in through the day becomes a blog post. And I always think, “Oooooh, yeah, that's a good one. I need to remember that!”
And yet, somehow, every evening I sit down to write my post and draw a big, fat, mental blank. Fortunately, you guys are awesome and never complain 🙂
Ah, but that does remind me (not that I'm calling this person a complainer)… I received a comment about the last batch of 7-layer bars that I posted. She said that she had made the recipe twice, but the marshmallows burned both times. Which was perplexing since mine had turned out perfectly golden and gooey.
But her comment was logical– the bars are in the oven for an hour (or more), shouldn't my marshmallows have burnt to a crisp? And why didn't they? And how can I make sure there are no other mallow casualties in the making of seven-layer bars?
Obviously, I had to re-make the bars to answer these questions.
Since I loved the way the Gingerbread Oreo 7-Layer Bars turned out, I decided to create a similar bars recipe but without the seasonal flavors. A traditional S'mOreo is 4 layers: one Oreo half, a toasted marshmallow, a chocolate bar, and a second Oreo half. We're adding three more layers here: semi-sweet chocolate, white chocolate, and sweetened condensed milk.
I have to say… these bars are everything you're imagining them to be. And probably more. Oreo goodness, ooey gooey toasted marshmallows, and sweetened condensed milk bringing everything magically together.
Plus, I've solved the marshmallow-burning mystery. I suspect the marshmallows would be fine as long as they were somewhere beneath the sweetened condensed milk and not the very top layer. However, I didn't want to run the risk of burning them, so I made sure that they were the first layer of goodies right on top of the crust. Then I piled the chocolate chips, Oreos, and SCM on top so that the marshmallows were covered really well. And voila! No burning at all.
I so enjoy a good marshmallow mystery 😉 .
- 15 Oreos (1 1/2 cups), crushed
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup Hershey Milk Chocolate bars, broken into pieces
- 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 white chocolate chips
- 5 Oreos, crumbled
- 14.5 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare an 8x8 baking dish by lining it with parchment paper and spraying lightly with a nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the Oreos in a zip top bag. Seal the bag and use a rolling pin to crush them. Open the bag and add the butter. Place in the microwave, standing up. Heat for 30 seconds. Seal the bag again, and smush until the butter is fully incorporated with the cookie crumbs.
- Press the crumbs well into the bottom of the dish. Bake the crust for 10 minutes.
- Remove crust from the oven and top with marshmallows, Hershey bars, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, and crumbled Oreos. Pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the top.
- Bake for 60 minutes until the top is golden and edges are bubbly. It should feel somewhat set when you push it, even though it will be melted and gooey.
- Let cool completely before cutting and serving.
Magic Bars from Friends:
- Butterscotch Pecan Magic Bars by Crazy For Crust
- Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Seven Layer Bars by Love from the Oven
- Apple Butterscotch Magic Seven Layer Bars by Sally's Baking Addiction