S’mores Apple Salad
So last week, after (yet another) disappointing weigh in, I committed to waking up every day (except Sunday, which I don’t think I mentioned then), early enough to go work out and eat breakfast at our kitchen table. It was a small goal, because I feel like I need to go back to some fundamentals. I’m hoping that month of working out first thing and eating a healthy breakfast turns into a habit that I can keep up. Once that habit is established, I’ll take another baby step.
This week went really well. I had a great cardio workout all 6 days, and ate a bowl of cheerios for breakfast every morning. I was scared to eat anything else… I know it’s a recipe for disaster, but I seem to do best when I eat the same thing every single day. I know I should have a little more variety to prevent boredom and all, but… it just scares me to veer away from something that I know works! Anyone else like that?
Oh, well. Baby steps right? Maybe I can explore different breakfasts next month 🙂
This recipe is a skinny version of one of my very favorite treats: Snickers Apple Salad. And you know what’s even better than Snickers Apple Salad? Samoas Apple Salad. Seriously, it’s amazing. Try it!
You could probably replace the chocolate chips, grahams, and marshmallows in this recipe with a quarter or half serving of snickers or samoas without changing the nutritional value too much. Just be sure to cut them up into really small pieces so you get a little in every bite! I like this s’mores version though– it’s simple and yummy, and without much guilt! There’s half an apple and 150 calories in each (very filling) serving.
- 1 small box (1.4 oz) sugar free vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup cool whip free
- 2 tbsp mini chocolate chips
- 2 medium granny smith apples, cut into cubes
- 12 miniature marshmallows
- 1 graham cracker sheet, crumbled
- Whisk together the milk and the pudding mix until smooth and thick. Immediately whisk in the cool whip.
- Use a spatula to mix in the apple pieces, marshmallows, chocolate chips, and graham crackers crumbs. Serve immediately or chill until time to serve. Don't make this too far ahead of serving time, as the apples will brown.
- Serves 4