Peanut Butter Crunch Cheese Ball Recipe
So…. do you Super Bowl??
My husband and I aren't real big on socializing (uh… West-Wing-on-the-couch-in-our-sweats-every-single-night much?), but nearly every year we throw a big (by our standards anyway) Super Bowl party to celebrate my husband's third favorite event of the year (Christmas, First Football Game of the Year, and the Super Bowl).
Back when we lived in Utah, we'd invite everyone that we knew and cram them into whichever tiny apartment we were living in at the time. It was always sort of a random hodge podge of a gazillion people from school, work, church, the apartment building, and anyone else we picked up along the way. And we seriously never had seats for everyone. I have no idea why people actually came year after year.
It wasn't for the desserts, I know that much. Because I never made desserts for the Super Bowl party.
Wait. Let that absorb for a minute.
Crazy right?! We would deep fry tacquitos and wings, serve nacho cheese and bean dip in crock pots, and pass around bag after bag of Doritos. But the only sweet stuff around would be the sole bag of peanut M&Ms that are requisite for me to get through any football event.
Seriously. Would it have really been too much to ask for me to through some cookie dough in the oven?!
Anyway. All that is changing. Now that I'm 4 years deep into this dessert blog, I can see absolutely no reason I shouldn't be making some sort of awesome dessert for the Super Bowl this year. I've been leaning towards Pecan Praline Bake Brie (because… OMG it's bakedfreakingbrie! Right?!), but after experimenting with some cheese ball making… I think I might be leaning towards this Peanut Butter Crunch Cheese Ball.
Although, on a side note, who says I can't make both??
It's all the flavors and textures that I adore– chocolate, peanut butter, cream cheese, crunchy, creamy… I mean, does it really get any better??
As always, my favorite dippers are pretzels (then you can add salty to the adjective list!), but this would also be great with apples, graham crackers, or your finger! Enjoy 🙂
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup Milk Chocolate Toffee Bits (Heath) or Nestle Buncha Crunch*
- 1 bag mini chocolate chips for coating
- In a stand mixer, cream together the cream cheese and peanut butter. Mix in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. Mix in the vanilla and toffee bits (or Buncha Crunch).
- Spread two overlapping pieces of plastic cling wrap on a work surface (so they cling together to form one big sheet). Scrape the cream cheese mixture into the center of the plastic wrap. Bring up the edges of the plastic wrap around the cream cheese mixture to form a tightly wrapped ball.
- Refrigerate for one hour.
- Place chocolate chips in a medium bowl. Remove chilled cream cheese mixture from plastic wrap and place on top of the chocolate chips. Use your hands or a spatula to roll the ball in the chocolate chips and coat completely. Serve immediately or cover and chill until serving time.
The first time I made this, I tried using cocoa krispies as the "crunch" in the cheese ball. I LOVED it, but the krispies were soggy after an hour. However, you could use Buncha Crunch (Nestle, found in the candy aisle in most US grocery stores), and the chocolate coating would keep the krispies from getting soggy!