Homemade Magic Shell Recipe
It’s Ice Cream Week on Something Swanky and Crazy for Crust!
Click the links above to see all of our fun ice cream recipes from this week.
If ice cream is the ultimate in summer refreshment, then Magic Shell is the ultimate in all things ice cream. And in all things being a kid.
Because, in all honestly, does it really get any cooler than pouring chocolate over your ice cream and watching it turn into a hard shell right before your very eyes???
I submit that it does not.
And guess what?! This stuff is sooooooooooo incredibly easy to make. I mean… SO EASY. As in: there is NO reason to not make your own magic shell at home! For the following reasons…
1) With only TWO ingredients, there's nothing weird in here. Which means: it doesn't do that gross separation thing that store-bought Magic Shell does. Have you seen that? The white waxy substance floats to the top. And if you don't shake it up SUPER well, you end up just squeezing wax out onto your ice cream. ICK much?!
In fact, you can actually make it pretty darn healthful if you use a high quality dark chocolate (I opted for semi-sweet chocolate chips, so I lose a point there).
2) More bang for your buck. Duh.
3) Your friends will think you are awesome. Your kids will think you have magical powers. And that's all true.
4) It's yummy. This recipe has WAY more chocolate-y flavor and goodness than the store bought kind.
5) It's really that easy.
So what are you waiting for?! Run to the cupboard and grab the two (just TWO!) ingredients this recipe needs and hop on over to the microwave.
If you were wondering… that's about 78% of the work involved in this recipe.
- 8 ounces (or 1 cup) chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp coconut oil*
- Place the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small microwave safe dish.
- Microwave for 60 seconds, or until chocolate is softened and the oil is melted.
- Stir until smooth. Drizzle over ice cream (or any other frozen treat!) and allow to harden before eating.
- Store in a microwave safe airtight container. Reheat in the microwave for 30-60 seconds when you're ready to serve again.
*I highly recommend using a pure, unrefined coconut oil, because I like the taste so much better! But any coconut oil will work just fine.
Step by Step Photo Tutorial
Have you made a Something Swanky recipe? Post it on Instagram and tag me @somethingswanky or use the hashtag #somethingswankyrecipes. I’d love to re-post!
Be sure to also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, YouTube, and in the Something Swanky Dessert Recipes Facebook group!