Homemade Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe
Yesterday I made a buttermilk pie crust. Today, of course, I filled it…
Chocolate cream pie is quite possibly my favorite pie of all time. But, regrettably… I almost always forget about it unless someone else makes it. I don't know why. Somehow it always just seems to get eclipsed on pie-eating occasions by the more iconic pies like pumpkin and pecan, which always make the cut on Thanksgiving and Christmas. And, for some reason, chocolate cream pie doesn't always quite make it onto the menu.
But when it does, I become a woman on a mission to eat as much pie as is humanly possible to stuff in my face.
Because is there anything more perfect than a chocolate cream pie? I submit that there is not.
Especially a chocolate cream pie with a 100% from-scratch chocolate pudding filling– no instant mixes here!
Admittedly, I don't mind things like cake mix or store-bought pie crusts. Everyone knows I'm a fan of the Cool Whip. And I'm a frequent (and happy) user of instant pudding mixes. But I think there's something extra special about a chocolate cream pie with a homemade filling. It's extra thick and creamy, and (most importantly) extra chocolatey.
This pie is really very easy to pull together. Make the pie crust, whisk the filling, pour, and chill. Easy, easy, easy. The most important part of making this pie is giving yourself enough time. It's needs to chill, completely, overnight. So be sure to make it the night before you want to eat it!!
And then enjoy! Savor each creamy bite, and don't feel obliged to share. It's totally your prerogative.
- 9-inch pie crust, pre-baked
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- whipped cream and chocolate shavings for toppings
- In a large saucepan (the heat is NOT on at this point), whisk together the egg yolks and the milk.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the sugar, corn starch, salt and cocoa powder.
- Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in the sauce pan. Turn heat to medium-high. Whisk continually until mixture begins to thicken and bubble (about 10-15 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add the butter and vanilla. Mix well. Serve immediately warm, or pour into cups with lids and store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 364Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 299mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 2gSugar: 39gProtein: 7g