Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
Everyone has their favorite recipe for classic chocolate chip cookies, and this is mine.
5 years ago, I set out on an epic journey to find the BEST chocolate chip cookies of all time. Chocolate chip cookies are my all-time favorite dessert, and I wanted to find a recipe that gave me a consistently perfect cookie. I wanted golden crispy edges (that wouldn’t lose their crisp after a day or two in the cookie jar) and soft, gooey centers. My other super picky criteria included: no dough chilling, no butter softening, salty tops, all butter, not cakey in any way, and a little on the thin side (but not TOO thin). This recipes checks all the boxes and has been my go-to CCC recipe for over a year now. If you’re still on the hunt for your perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe, this could be the one for you!
Check out all of the chocolate chip recipes that I’ve tried by clicking right here.
Main Ingredients Needed for Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
- brown sugar
- egg + egg yolk
- baking soda
- chocolate chips
Recipe Tips & Notes
- This recipe specifies measuring out the flour packed. I know the generally accepted method of correctly measuring flour is to “spoon and sweep,” many of my own cookie recipes call for using that method. However, this recipe requires that you pack the flour against the side of the container as you measure it out. It WILL make a difference if you don’t do this.
- I really prefer using mini chocolate chips. I used the standard size semi-sweet chocolate morsels for this particular batch you see pictured. But my personal preference is to use the minis, because I think it’s a better chocolate to cookie ratio. Just saying.
- I love sprinkling this flaked sea salt on top of the cookies before baking. SO GOOD.
Related Recipe Video: Thick & Chewy Brown Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl.
- Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown around the edges (don't over-bake though, if the tops of the cookies are brown, you've probably baked them too long!).
- Cool on baking sheet for a couple of minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
The Chocolate Chip Cookie Experiment
Want to know which ones were my favorites?
You can see all of the recipes I tried and read my reviews of each by clicking here. Today’s recipe is my very favorite, but these are my top three runner up recipes!