Build-a-Snowman Cookies in a Jar
These are actually a repeat of cookies I made last year.
But they’re some of my favorites, and they didn’t really get much exposure last year (due to my extreme lack of blogging experience :), so I thought a repeat would be fun to do!
We’re quite snow-less here in VA, so I attached this poem to the jar:
I’m a total royal-icing hater, but these cookies are just so cute that it’s totally worth it.
This year I used a little more royal icing than last year– piping on the eyes, the smile, the carrot nose, and the bow ties. But if you’d rather do minimal coloring and piping, check out 2011’s version— they use more sprinkles and a food coloring writer.
And check out this ridiculously simple tip for keeping your frosting bag clean!
(even through switching colors!)
- 1 recipe Sugar Cookies, cut out in circles (Use this recipe, omitting the sprinkles)
- 1 recipe Royal Icing (recipe follows)
- Food coloring in Super Black, orange, and any color for the bow tie/scarf
- Sprinkles for buttons (and for other features if you have sprinkles that work!)
- Food Writer (optional for the mouth– see last year’s version)
- Frost sugar cookies by piping a circle outline of thick frosting on each cookie. Spoon in and spread the thinned frosting on each cookie within the outline.
- Let dry for about 10 minutes. Add snow man features with either frosting or sprinkles (1/3 heads, 1/3 bodies, 1/3 bottoms — no features!)
- Cookies need to dry overnight before you can put them in the jars.
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Meringue Powder
- 1/4 c. water
- 2-3 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- In a stand mixer, whisk the meringue powder and water on medium speed until foamy.
- Whisk in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until stiff peaks form.
- Add vanilla.
- Use the thick royal icing to pipe on outlines and other details. Add more water (1 tbsp at a time) to the icing to create a thin icing for filling in the outlines.
Powered by Recipage
Want More Cookies?
Other Snowy Day Recipes:
Please visit my Party Page for a more complete index of Link Parties.
If you host a regular link party, please add it to my Party Page!