Cookies & Cream Chocolate Layer Cake Recipe
Two layers of rich, chocolate Oreo cake with a fudgy chocolate buttercream and Oreo crumbles on top.
Today I'm bringing you a ridiculously indulgent chocolate cake filled with Oreos and chocolate buttercream and topped with even more cookies! It's a chocolate cookie lover's dream come true. And *omg*, saying that it's GOOD doesn't even begin to cover it.
This recipe combines my very favorite, ultimate go-to chocolate cake recipe with my favorite chocolate buttercream. So you know it's going to be amazing.
In addition to being uber amazing, this cake was my chocoholic two-year-old son's birthday cake this year.
Can I just take a second to say, what the what???? How on earth is my sweet baby two years old?! I know for a fact that I didn't give him permission to get that old. Man, I miss my sweet little baby! ????
Annnnnnnnyway. Since it was his birthday cake, and the day was kind of crazy, I didn't get around to taking pictures of the cake sliced. So you'll have to make do with pictures of the outside of the cake and use your imagination a bit on the inside, so sorry!
It looks a lot like the slice of cake in this post. But picture more Oreos.
Take my word for it, this cake is totally something you need in your life.
- 1 recipe chocolate cake*, baked into two 9-inch rounds and cooled
- 1 full-size package Oreos (3 sleeves)
Chocolate Butter Cream
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 7 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 6 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- dash of salt
- Use an electric mixer to make the buttercream: beat the butter until smooth. Alternately add the powdered sugar and a tablespoon of liquid (the milk or the vanilla), and mix in between each addition. Mix in the salt and the cocoa powder, and beat until smooth.
- Crush the remaining Oreos*.
- Place one layer of chocolate cake on a serving plate or cake stand. Spread chocolate frosting over the cake and top with Oreo crumbles.
- Place the second layer of cake on top. Spread chocolate frosting over the rest of the cake and top with more Oreo crumbles. Keep chilled until ready to serve.
*Crush 15 Oreos and fold the crumbs into the cake batter before baking
This recipe makes a pretty large batch of buttercream. You could half this recipe if you are not adding buttercream swirls or other frosting garnishes on top.