Since we don’t live close to a Chili’s anymore, I decided it was probably time to try making them on my own. I came up with these super easy molten chocolate cupcakes. They bake up nicely, are quick to assemble and are sure to please anyone who is lucky enough to get their hands on one! Death by chocolate, yes please!
Molten Chocolate Cupcakes
1½ c. granulated sugar
1½ tsp. baking soda
¾ tsp. baking powder
¾ tsp. salt
2 large eggs
¾ c. warm water + ¼ tsp. espresso powder
¾ c. buttermilk
3 tbsp. canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare one cupcake pan by spraying with Pam and then lightly dusting with cocoa powder (tip: cocoa is a great alternative to flour when prepping a pan for chocolate cake or bread), set aside.
2. In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk or sift together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add eggs, warm water w/ espresso powder, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Mix on medium speed until smooth. Turn down speed to low and slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture. Mix until smooth (no flour/cocoa pockets remain), about 3 minutes.
4. Divide batter evenly among cups, filling ¾ of the way full. Place in oven and bake for 18-21 minutes, or until the tops spring back when touched and a cake tester comes out clean. Be careful not to over bake!
5. Remove from oven, allow them to sit for 3-4 minutes in the pan, and then transfer them to a wire rack.