Valentine’s Day Red Velvet Cookies Recipe
These Valentine's Day Red Velvet Cookies are the perfect treat to make for your sweetheart, class parties, Galentine's day, and pretty much everything else in February! Red velvet cookies (made from scratch) rolled in hot pink sprinkles with a dark chocolate truffle on top. What's not to love?!
Check out my other Valentine's Day Recipes here.
Recipe Video: Valentine's Day Red Velvet Cookies
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”YVWLzmma” upload-date=”2020-01-30T00:03:41.000Z” name=”Red Velvet Sweetheart Cookies” description=”” player-type=”default” override-embed=”default”]
Main Ingredients Needed for Valentine's Day Red Velvet Cookies
- brown sugar
- all purpose flour
- cocoa powder
- hot pink or red food coloring
- pink or red sugar sprinkles
- Dove Promises milk or dark chocolate
Recipe Tips & Notes
- I’ve made cookies before using cake mix, and I wanted to offer you guys a recipe that was entirely from scratch– but if you’re looking for a shortcut (that also tastes fabulous) be sure to check out these Red Velvet Blossom Cookies!
- There are two things I do in this recipe to prevent spreading without having to chill the dough. 1) Bake the cookies at 375º. This bakes the cookie up a little faster (while leaving the insides soft and slightly underdone), and less time in the oven means less spreading. 2) Use butter that is still a little chilled. It needs to be soft enough to cream in a mixer, but you don’t want it room temperature. I used the soften function on my microwave for butter, but I only put it in for half of the time. You could also let it soften on the counter for about 30 minutes.
- The trick to the Dove Promises keeping their shape (instead of melting into a puddle on the cookie) is to immediately place the cookies in the fridge after you press the Hershey Kiss into the cookies.
- 1/2 cup butter, slightly softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon red or hot pink food coloring
- 1/2 cup sugar sprinkles (red or pink)
- 18 Dove Promises, dark or milk chocolate
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Use a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment to beat the butter and the sugars together until creamed. Mix in the egg.
- Separately mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry mixture, the milk, the vanilla, and the red food coloring to the stand mixer and mix until dough forms.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of dough at a time and roll into a ball. Roll the ball in the granulated sugar to coat and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake cookies for 9 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately press a Hershey Kiss into each cookie.
- Move the cookies to the refrigerator to keep the Kisses from melting.
Looking for More Red Velvet?
Give these sweet recipes a try!