Red Velvet Cookies & Cream Kiss Cookies
Red velvet cookies made entirely from scratch (no cake mix!) topped with Cookies & Cream Hershey Kisses!
A few things to note about this recipe:
- I’ve actually made red velvet blossom cookies before using cake mix. I wanted to offer you guys a recipe that was entirely from scratch– but if you’re looking for a shortcut (that also tastes fabulous) be sure to check out these Red Velvet Blossom Cookies!
- There are two things I do in this recipe to prevent spreading without having to chill the dough. 1) Bake the cookies at 375º. This bakes the cookie up a little faster (while leaving the insides soft and slightly underdone), and less time in the oven means less spreading. 2) Use butter that is still a little chilled. It needs to be soft enough to cream in a mixer, but you don’t want it room temperature. I used the soften function on my microwave for butter, but I only put it in for half of the time. You could also let it soften on the counter for about 30 minutes.
- The trick to the Hershey Kisses keeping their shape (instead of melting into a puddle on the cookie) is to immediately place the cookies in the fridge after you press the Hershey Kiss into the cookies.
What’s my favorite part of this recipe?
I love the chewy texture of these cookies and the on-point red velvet flavor.
- 1/2 cup butter, slightly softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon red food coloring
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar for rolling
- 18 Cookies & Cream Hershey Kisses, unwrapped
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
Use a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment to beat the butter and the sugars together until creamed. Mix in the egg.
Separately mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
Add the dry mixture, the milk, the vanilla, and the red food coloring to the stand mixer and mix until dough forms.
Scoop 2 tablespoons of dough at a time and roll into a ball. Roll the ball in the granulated sugar to coat and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake cookies for 9 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately press a Hershey Kiss into each cookie.
Move the cookies to the refrigerator to keep the Kisses from melting.