Lunch Box S’mores Recipe
These are so simple that, really, it's almost embarrassing to even be posting a “recipe” for them. But they turned out just so darned cute that I just had to share anyway. Plus, I'm a s'mores fanatic. So there's that too.
I thought these S'mores (sans the campfire) would be adorable as classroom treats or just as a special way to say “I Love You” in your kids' lunchboxes this week… because, really, what says HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY better than a big, pink, puffy, sparkly heart?!
I just couldn't resist those big ol' pink heart Peeps when I saw them in the store. I think I need a stash for all year long, honestly.
They add a lot of pizazz to what is really an extremely simple treat to make. All you have to do is layer a little bit of marshmallow cream in between two grahams, and give the whole thing a dunk in chocolate. Stick the hearts on top of the chocolate before it cools and hardens and voila!
Best of all (yes, even better than the pink puffy heart on top) is how delicious these treats are. Sometimes, simple is just better. These reminded me of my favorite childhood treat– a Moonpie! …but, you know… not quite as stale 😉
Like I said, this recipe is so simple, it's barely even a recipe. But I do have a few helpful tips that I found useful in the making:
- Please DON'T use chocolate chips for dipping. You definitely need to use a good melting chocolate candy like Ghirardelli (my favorite) or even Hershey's Baking Melts for an authentic S'mores taste!
- Don't overfill the marshmallow center. Using just a bit less than a tablespoon per s'more is perfect (I used my 37mm cookie scoop to make things easier– but I didn't fill the scoop all the way). Any more than that and the marshmallow cream will ooze out of the graham crackers after dunking.
- Another thing that helps contain the marshmallow filling (if you want to take the time– I didn't this time, but I have in the past) is freezing. Sandwich the marshmallow cream in between the grahams and then freeze for about 10 minutes before dipping in the chocolate.
- 12 ounces melting chocolate
- 12 graham cracker squares
- 6 tbsp. marshmallow cream
- 1 package of big, pink Peeps hearts (6 pk)
Prepare a work space by spreading out a large piece of parchment or wax paper.
Melt the melting chocolate according to the package directions (preferably in a bowl wide enough to place the graham crackers in).
Prepare the graham crackers by sandwiching 1 tbsp. of marshmallow cream in between 2 graham squares.
Immediately place the entire graham cracker sandwich in the bowl of melted chocolate. Use a fork (or small slatted spatula) to press the graham sandwich under the chocolate until it's completely covered. Use the fork or spatula to lift it up out of the chocolate, allowing the excess chocolate to drip off.
Scrape the excess chocolate off of the bottom using the side of the bowl and place the covered graham on the prepared work space. Top with a Peep heart. Allow to cool completely until chocolate has hardened.
Repeat with the remaining ingredients.