Homemade Graham Cracker Gingerbread Men Cookies Recipe
If you love the idea of adorable homemade Gingerbread Men Cookies (minus the gingerbread!), then these Homemade Graham Cracker Gingerbread Men Cookies are for you.
CHECK OUT ALL OF MY HOLIDAY RECIPES RIGHT HERE.
The kids and I love decorating gingerbread men at this time of year! But neither one of my kids are big into gingerbread, and I can't say I totally blame them. I love it now, but it was definitely a taste that I acquired as an adult ????. This year I decided to give my Homemade Graham Crackers recipe a try in place of gingerbread cookie dough, and it was ????????????????! The grahams hold their shape well, are easy to make, and the kids (and grown ups!) loved the taste.
Gingerbread Pirates + Little Heirloom Books
Of course, we couldn't make gingerbread men without reading Gingerbread Pirates— my 3-year old's new favorite Christmas book! We found this awesome book recommendation following Little Heirloom Books on Instagram, plus this super cute pirate map printable on the Little Heirloom Books website.
Little Heirloom Books is an up-and-coming children's book subscription box with a focus on beautiful, uplifting books that are full of positive values along with classic, useful children’s goods that both you and your children will love. You can read a little more about them on their blog. And be sure to follow them on Instagram and Facebook for lots of great children's book recommendations and activities.
Ingredients Needed for Homemade Graham Cracker Gingerbread Men
- whole wheat flour
- wheat germ or wheat bran (you can get this at almost any grocery store (including Wal-Mart Pick Up!)
- brown sugar
- nutmeg + cinnamon
- baking soda
- frosting, sprinkles, and gumdrops for decorating!
CHECK OUT MY EASY COOKIE DECORATING IDEAS IN THIS VIDEO
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”veE8cEOx” upload-date=”2018-12-12T03:54:07.000Z” name=”Sugar Cookies” description=””]
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ or wheat bran
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter, cold
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp honey
- Place the dry ingredients into a food processor and mix for a moment, just to blend together the ingredients.
- Cut the butter into small chunks and add to the food processor as well as the honey, milk, and molasses. Continue to blend until crumbs form and then large clumps.
- Turn dough out onto a non-stick surface and work into a large ball. Flatten some with the palm of your hand.
- Cover in plastic wrap or parchment paper and roll the dough out under the plastic wrap to be about 1/8 inch thick. Keeping the plastic wrap on top will keep it from cracking and tearing (although there will still be some cracks around the edges).
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out the crackers. Use a toothpick to poke 4 holes in each cracker.
- Place crackers on a lined, ungreased cookie sheet, and chill for 30 WHOLE minutes (don't cheat!). Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes (mine were burnt at 15, perfect at about 13). Transfer to a wire rack for cooling immediately after removing from oven. Cookies will become crisp as they cool.
- Decorate with frosting and sprinkles!