Chocolate Caramel Covered Potato Chip Brownies: the Perfect Picnic Pairing with Kettle Brand Chips
One of the many things that we are loving about our new home is the YARD! Our last apartment was tiny. Tiny and on the third floor of a building with a large, wrap-around parking lot. In other words: there was very little space for stretching your legs. Plus, we were there for all of the winter months. So even if we had wanted to wander the parking lot, it was a little too cold and rainy for that. Now that spring has sprung and we have a yard, we're a pretty happy crew in this house. Emma loves being outside! And it has been so much fun to just let her let loose in the yard. We're even planning on getting her a tricycle for her birthday next month, but shhhh! It's going to be a big surprise!
Until then, our favorite use for the yard is definitely having picnics! A month or two ago, Emma saw a Daniel the Tiger episode that involved picnicking and now she asks for one almost daily. At first, Chris and I were just obliging her. But now it's something we really look forward to doing a few times a week as a family! It's so nice to take a few minutes to leave the phone and the laptop inside, and enjoy a meal with my two favorite people in the grass. Kettle Brand Chips has challenged bloggers to find their “Perfect Picnic Pairing” flavors for summertime using real ingredients that pair well with Kettle Brand Chips. I decided to combine two of my favorite treats (brownies and caramel covered potato chip fudge) to create a super yummy dessert using Kettle Brand Sea Salt Potato Chips! These chips only have three ingredients: potatoes, oil, and sea salt. Using simple, real ingredients like these chips will always create the best tasting desserts! When you open a bag of Kettle Brand Chips, you know you are always getting a quality product. The folks at Kettle Brand Chips pride themselves on always using real ingredients and cooking their chips in small batches to ensure a superior tasting chip. They only use the finest all-natural, non-GMO ingredients with no trans fats, no MSG, no artificial colors or flavors, and no list of ingredients you can't even pronounce! That's how they've done it for 30 years, and that's how they'll keep doing it!
Learn more about Kettle Brand’s all-natural promise on their site!
For the Brownie Layer:
- 1 stick + 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup high quality semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the Caramel Chocolate Potato Chip Layer:
- 14 oz. Kraft Caramel Bits + 3 tbsp water
- 9.5 oz package Hershey's Baking Melts
- 4 cups Kettle Chips, Sea Salt flavor + 1 more cup for crushing and sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 8x8 baking dish by spraying with non-stick cooking spray and lining with parchment paper (optional, but I like to do it so I can lift the brownies right out of the dish).
- Pour the butter into the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the sugar and cocoa powder and beat until smooth, almost creamy.
- Add the salt, water, and vanilla. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing in between each addition.
- Add the flour and chocolate chips and mix well. Batter will be very thick.
- Use a sturdy rubber spatula to spread batter in the 9x9 pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the brownies to cool for 10-20 minutes. Then use the bottom of a wooden spoon to poke holes all over the top of the brownies (this will help keep the caramel from squeezing completely out to the edges).
- Pour the caramel bits in a medium bowl and pour the water over top. Microwave for 90 seconds or until melted completely. Pour over the brownies, aiming to fill the holes as much as possible.
- Press 4 cups of the potato chips into the caramel. It's ok to push them into the brownies some, no need to be delicate!
- Heat the Hershey's Baking Melts in the microwave for a minute, or until completely melted. Pour the chocolate over top of the potato chip. Spread the chocolate evenly across with a rubber spatula-- again, no need to be careful. It's ok if chips get crushed, or the chocolate mixes with the caramel.
- Crush and sprinkle the remaining cup of chips over top of the chocolate. Serve immediately for completely warm, ooey, gooey, and very messy brownies. Or let cool completely to allow the chocolate and caramel to firm up-- which is a little less messy to serve.
We're giving away a $100 Visa Gift Card to one lucky reader! To enter for your chance to win, leave a comment answering the question, “What do you include in your picnic basket?”
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
a) Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
b) Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the
following unique term in your tweet message: “”#SweepstakesEntry””; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post”
c) Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
d) For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. You have 72 hours to get back to me, otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 5/20 – 7/3.
Be sure to visit the Kettle Brand Chips brand page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers’ reviews and find more chances to win!