Best Ever Chocolate Frosting
I seriously don’t even have words to tell you how in love I am with this recipe, but I’ll try anyway…
You know how a part of you secretly (or, I guess, not-so-secretly for some of us) really loves store-bought, canned frosting despite the bizarrely effective preservatives and icky film it leaves in your mouth? C’mon. You know you do.
I definitely do. Like, to an embarrassing fault– when I was in college, I’d keep a can of the stuff in our refrigerator and eat a few spoonfuls a day, like ice cream. #gross #Iknow
Anyway. I think what I like best about the canned kind is how smooth and cream it is. And how deep, dark, fudgy-chocolate-y it is. I mean, I adore my chocolate buttercream, I do. But a buttercream doesn’t exactly hit the same notes as a good ol’ can of Duncan Hines, does it?
Well, this stuff does. It’s smooth, it’s rich, and it’s full of deep, dark chocolate flavor. It’s just the right amount of fudgy (uh, which is an extreme amount, if you were wondering), and it’s spreads on to a cake like a dream. You can warm it up and pour it like ganache (divine). Or you could even firm it up in the fridge to a truffle-like consistency.
It is incredibly, incredibly easy to make! I accidentally stumbled upon this recipe on the BHG website, and they recommend making it over the stove and stirring by hand. But I, in my infinite laziness, used the microwave and hand mixer (I’m sure a stand mixer would work too)! Feel free to use either method, but trust me– the lazy way still yields an incredibly dreamy result.
So….. make this now! Tonight! Seriously. I’ve already used this in TWO different recipes I’ll be sharing soon, and I plan to keep a batch on hand for all of my chocolate emergencies from now on. It’s seriously perfect for everything (drizzling, dipping, spreading, scooping, sandwiching, to name a few). Just do it!
- 12 ounce package semisweet (or any mixture of) chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 8 ounces sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- Place the butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 60 seconds, or until butter is melted completely.
- Add the chocolate chips to the bowl and stir until chocolate chips are very melted. When you feel like the chocolate chips won't melt any more just from being in the warm butter, place the bowl back in the microwave and heat for 30 seconds. Remove and stir until chocolate chips are completely melted and smooth (nuke an additional 30 seconds if necessary).
- Use an electric mixer to mix in the sour cream.
- Add the powdered sugar a cup at a time and the vanilla extract, mixing well in between each addition.
- Use immediately or store covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Warm in the microwave in 30 second increments for spreading after refrigerating.
Have you made a Something Swanky recipe? Post it on Instagram and tag me @somethingswanky or use the hashtag #somethingswankyrecipes. I’d love to re-post!
Be sure to also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, YouTube, and in the Something Swanky Dessert Recipes Facebook group!
Psssssst! Have you checked out this awesome giveaway for a Blendtec Blender?? Hop on over to enter to win!