30 Minute Easter Basket Cake
This Easter Cake is show stopping, and you won't believe how quick and easy it comes together! If you can give it your undivided attention, you'll be done in under 30 minutes! A Rice Krispies Treat cake underneath is the secret to the speed.
Nothing gives me a creative block like Easter does. Don't ask why, it's just always been that way. I love to eat the Easter Egg shaped candy, so I always stock up on it. But then I'm totally stumped as to how to use it!
So I've been staring at these bags of Reese's Pieces Eggs and M&M speckled eggs for weeks. And as time kept passing, the more pressure I felt to come up with something uber creative. As a blogger, the rule of thumb is to get your seasonal stuff posted as soon as possible. That way it has time to go viral on Pinterest before the actual holiday. If you post too close to the holiday, you risk not gaining enough momentum on social media platforms. The only way you can make up for posting too close to the holiday is to come up with something really awesome.
So…. lots of pressure the longer you wait.
That being said, the thought behind this particular dessert was simply impatience. I just couldn't make a decision on what to do with those darned candy eggs, so I finally just threw my hands in the air and decided that some sort of “Easter basket” was the answer. That way I could just dump all the eggs on top and be done with the thing.
I love how this turned out. It is so easy and virtually impossible to mess up. You could use a real cake in the center if you wanted to, but I was looking to make this project as simple as least time consuming as possible, so I made a rice krispies treat center. I also liked that it gave some stability to the structure. I carted this cake across town, over many speed bumps, with no issues at all! So what you put in the center is up to you, but if you're looking for time sensible and easy, I'd suggest rice krispies!
- 8 cups rice krispies cereal
- 10 oz. miniature marshmallows
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 2 - 13.5 oz tins of Pepperidge Farm Vanilla Cream Pirouettes
- 1 - 16 oz canned vanilla frosting
- 3 bags of Easter Egg Candy, any variety
- In a large bow, microwave the marshmallows and butter for 90 seconds. Stir until smooth. Use a rubber spatula to mix in the rice krispies cereal until completely coated.
- Press the krispies into 2 well greased 6 inch round cake pans. Press down really well, and leave about 1/2 inch between the top of the krispies and the top of the pan. You may have some rice krispies left over.
- For rushed cooling, stick the pans in the freezer for about 5 minutes.
- Put a dollop of frosting on the bottom of a serving plate. Remove the rice krispies treats cakes from their pans. Place one cake on top of the frosting dollop. Smear the top of the krispies cake with a large dollop frosting, and place the second krispies cake layer on top.
- Cover the cake with the rest of the frosting.
- Press the pirouettes into the frosting all the way around the cake, forming the basket. Secure with a ribbon wrapped all the way around.
- Fill the basket with the candy Easter eggs.
Easter Recipes from Friends: