Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
Crispy, chewy, butter, chocolate chip cookie perfection.
The chocolate chip cookie. My favorite dessert on the planet. No, really. It is. I know I claim a lot of bests and ultimates and, yes, even favorites. But in truth, nothing will ever beat out a chocolate chip cookie for me.
Especially the RIGHT kind of chocolate chip cookie.
Now, I don't discriminate, mind you. I like them all. From Chips Ahoy to bakery cookies to my own homemade batches– I love chocolate chips cookies.
But the right chocolate chip cookie? It's like winning the cookie jackpot. And it's different for everyone. Maybe your kind of chocolate chip cookie is soft and pillowy. Or maybe you like them crunchy. Maybe you like big chunks of melty chocolate oozing out the sides. Or maybe you like lots of mini chocolate chips in every single bit. Maybe you need a salty, buttery flavor. Or possibly you care more about subtle vanilla undertones.
We've all got our priorities when it comes to chocolate chip cookies.
For me? I need thick, crispy edges. I like the center to still be just a little bit underdone. And I really prefer cookies a little bit on the thinner side. Not like crunchy thin or barely-there-thin, it's just I feel like thick cookies almost always get a little tough once they've sat a day or two– and I really don't like that. The thinner cookies stay chewy, because they have a lower flour to fat/sugar ratio.
That buttery/salty flavor is a MUST. In fact, the saltier the better for me when it comes to CCC!
And I can really go just about any way with chocolate (chips, mini chips, shavings, chunks, etc…) as long as it's semi-sweet. I went through a brief love affair with milk chocolate chips, but I keep coming back to semi-sweet. Always. ????
These cookies have it all. At least for me, anyway. And I am completely smitten. ????
Those crispy, butter edges– be still my heart!
The flavor is spot on, the texture is fabulously chewy and perfectly underbaked in the center, and every bite is full of miniature chocolate chips. Seriously, these are the BEST chocolate chip cookies I've made in the chocolate chip cookie experiment.
If you like that buttery-crispy-chewy-underbaked-perfection sort of thing, that is. If you're more of a thick and soft cookie person, check out these. They're fabulous too.
This recipe hails from a really fabulous BuzzFeed article all about the ultimate chocolate chip cookies. If you haven't seen it, be sure to check it out. It's a great read (if, ahem, you know, you like to read about chocolate chip cookies… and some of us do)!
And if you don't want to read about them, that's fine too. But seriously, make these cookies!
Enjoy ✌????❤️???? 🙂
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, melted
- 1¼ cups packed light brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 12-ounce bag (2 cups) semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Whisk together vigorously the sugars and the melted butter for one minute. Whisk in the eggs one at a time, and then add the vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir with the spatula to fully combine. Make sure you’ve scraped the bottom of the bowl and there are no streaks of dry ingredients left. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Place dough in the refrigerator for 10 minutes while the oven preheats, then scoop the dough in 2-ounce portions with a cookie scoop (or you can measure out ¼ cup) and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Bake the cookies 3 inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet (about 6 cookies per baking sheet) for 10 minutes, until the edges are set.
- Must let cool on the sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.