Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cake Recipe
A recipe for a single-layer vanilla cake with chocolate chips and fresh strawberries.
A few things to note about this recipe:
- I think this cake is VERY best served warm. You can serve it at room temp or chilled, and I tried it all the ways. Warm with melty chocolate chips trumps all!
- This cake freezes really well. You can freeze it for up to a month. Just let it thaw to room temp before serving. And of course– I'd recommend heating up your piece in the microwave before eating it 🙂
- I added a dusting of powdered sugar to the top, but I kept thinking how yummy a glaze would have been instead. So if you're feeling bold, give that a try!
What's my favorite thing about this recipe?
I loved the melty chocolate chips in every bite of cake! (I photographed the cake chilled, but I definitely heated it back up to eat!).
3 tbsp butter, softened to room temp 3 tbsp Greek yogurt 1 cup sugar 1 large egg 1/2 cup milk 1 tsp vanilla extract 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour 1-1/2 tsp baking powder pinch of salt 1/3 cup chocolate chips, plus additional for the top of the cake approximately 1 pound strawberries, capped and halved Optional: powdered sugar or a glaze for topping. Whipped cream would be good too
- 3 tbsp butter, softened to room temp
- 3 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips, plus additional for the top of the cake
- approximately 1 pound strawberries, capped and halved
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Prepare a 9-inch round baking tin by lining with parchment paper or foil and greasing with non-stick cooking spray.
- Whisk together the butter, Greek yogurt, and sugar. Add the egg and whisk until creamy.
- Add the milk, vanilla, all purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix just until a batter forms.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared baking tin. Press the halved strawberries into the top of the cake batter. Sprinkle more chocolate chips on the top.
- Bake for 55 minutes.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving fresh. Top with powdered sugar or a glaze if desired.