Homemade Cookie Dough Oreos
Did you get a chance to try Oreo’s newest limited edition flavors? In January they released two new flavors: Cookie Dough and Rice Krispies Treats.
In all honesty, I actually prefer the Rice Krispies Treats flavor– which is weird for me, since I’m a chocolate girl. Regardless, I thought the cookie dough flavor would be a lot of fun to recreate (but making it taste better, of course).
I hemmed and hawed for days over which type of chocolate cookie I wanted to make for these Oreos. I found merit in both versions of homemade Oreos that I’ve tried… a crispy, crunchy chocolate shortbread would be more like a real Oreo, and I like the idea of that (see my Red Velvet Oreos).
But I was eventually convinced that the soft, cake-like Oreos would be the best way to go for this recipe. Mostly because I know the soft version of homemade Oreos usually have a sweet cream cheese filling, and I happen to have a great recipe for cookie dough dip with a cream cheese base. And I thought that made the combo quite poetic.
Big thanks to my sweet cousin, Shannon, for prompting me to make these!
Products I used in the making…
For the chocolate cookies:
- 18.25 ounce Devil's Food Cake mix (not ingredients on back of box)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder
For the cookie dough filling:
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp. flour
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
For the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- Mix all ingredients together just until dough forms.
- Scoop out cookie dough by heaping tablespoons onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before moving to a wire rack to cool completely and fill.
For the filling:
- Beat together the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Mix in the brown sugar and flour.
- Mix in the vanilla and sea salt.
- Mix in the powdered sugar, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Use a sturdy rubber spatula to mix in the mini chocolate chips.
- Spread the filling on the bottom of one cookie, and top with another!
- Keep refrigerated until serving.
Are you cookie dough obsessed??
Then you’re in luck! A bunch of my friends and I are celebrating cookie dough week this week… which we may or may not have totally just made up. Either way, it’s delicious, and you won’t want to miss a bite!
Check out these creative cookie dough recipes:
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Parfait from White Lights on Wednesday
Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Brownie Layer Cake from Life, Love and Sugar
Cheesecake Cookie Dough Parfaits from Lemon Tree Dwelling
Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Cheesecake Pie from Crazy for Crust
Cookie Dough Oreos from Something Swanky
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Scotcharoos from The Gunny Sack
Snickerdoodle Cookie Dough Truffles from Back For Seconds
Double Chocolate Mint Cookie Dough Dip from Kitchen Meets Girl
Monster Cookie Dough Ice Cream from Mom On Timeout
Cookie Dough Tiramisu Grandbaby Cakes
Cookie Dough Doughnuts from The Domestic Rebel
Fried Dulce de Leche Cookie Dough from Simply Gloria
Espresso Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream from Beyond Frosting
No bake peanut butter and chocolate bars from Roxana’s Home Baking