Better Than Thin Mints… Grasshopper Poke Cake
This Better Than Thin Mints… Grasshopper Poke Cake is seriously so good. It’s a layer of moist chocolate cake, covered in hot fudge sauce mixed with Thin Mint crumbs, mint whipped topping, and Andes Mint chips.
When I was younger, I desperately wanted a sister. But my mom kept cranking out baby boy after baby boy. Frankly, after the fourth baby brother, I’d really had my fill of tonka trucks and fire fighters. I mean, really. I was so over the boy thing.
At long last, 11 years after I was born, my mom finally had a baby girl, giving me a sister. Which was neat. I was happy and all. But what in the heck was I supposed to do with sister 11 years younger than me? We couldn’t talk about boys. She couldn’t do my hair. We wouldn’t be up in the night sharing secrets. We certainly wouldn’t be fighting over the bathroom or sharing makeup.
So I satisfied myself with dressing her up like a doll, getting lots of cuddles, and thoroughly immersing her in the world of Disney princesses.
And then the craziest thing happened…
She started to grow up! And somewhere in there, I think I might have stopped growing up. And the gap between us became smaller and smaller. The funny thing is, we still don’t do those stereotypical things I thought sisters should do– you know, the make up, talking about boys, etc…
But we have a blast baking together. Our favorite thing to talk about is the latest on Pinterest. She roams the blog world with me, and is familiar with the names and blogs of all my blogging friends. She’s tried (unsuccessfully) to teach me how to french braid my own hair about a dozen times. I helped her get into running, but she’s already blown way past me (we’ll chock that up to youth)! She’s the kindest person I’ve ever met, totally without guile. She’s funny and beautiful too. And even with an 11 year age difference, she’s my best friend. Funny how that worked out, isn’t it?
Her 16th birthday was in March, and she asked for a Grasshopper cake. Given my affinity for poke cakes, we decided to make it a Grasshopper Poke Cake Birthday cake! It. is. diviiiiiiiiiiiine.
- 1 chocolate cake mix + water, oil, eggs as listed on the box
- 1 - 14.5 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 - 12.8 oz jar Hershey's Special Hot Fudge Sauce
- 1 - 10 oz package Keebler Fudge Mint Cookies (or Thin Mints, when in season)
- 1 - 16 oz container cool whip (I like lite)
- 1 Duncan Hines Mint flavor packet
- 1 cup Andes Mint chips
- Prepare and bake the cake mix in a 9x13 baking dish. Allow to cool completely.
- Use the bottom of a wooden spoon to poke holes evenly across the entire cake (about 20 holes). Pour the can of sweetened condensed milk over the cake, trying to fill the holes.
- Heat the hot fudge sauce in a small bowl in the microwave. 30-40 seconds should do the trick, you jut want it to soften a little.
- Crumble half of the fudge mint cookies into the hot fudge sauce and mix. Spread the cookie/fudge sauce over the cake.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mint packet and the cool whip. Spread the whipped topping over the fudge layer.
- Crumble the remaining cookie crumbs over top of the cool whip. Sprinkle the Andes Mint chips over top.
- Refrigerate and chill for at least 4 hours (overnight is best).
- Cut and serve. Serves 12-15.
Grasshopper Recipes from Friends:
Don’t miss a beat! Connect with Something Swanky: